Monday, January 12, 2015

Germany Blog: Episode IV

    I wish I knew the correct way to begin a blog post. It is now 1:09AM and I will leave my house at 9:00AM tomorrow to go to the airport. I've always had a talent for getting things done far in advance.

    When I think about the trip and try to assess my own feelings in a way that is coherent, I arrive at two words: excited and unprepared. Tomorrow I will sit in a metal tube for what seems like half a year while it miraculously propels itself over a body of water that used to be the end of the world until people built boats big enough to cross it, and then I will exit the aforementioned tube and be in a place where I can't walk up to literally anyone and say "What's the deal with this Texas weather, am I right?" And the only things I have done to get ready are:

  1. Acquired a passport/credit card
  2. Bought new jeans because apparently I left all of mine in College Station
  3. Thrown every article of clothing I have ever owned into two bags
    I'm not jittery, or nervous, I just have this feeling of being vastly unprepared, like that dream (or reality) where you have to take a test you haven't studied for. The nice thing about this trip is that instead of that feeling of panic you get while you're in the middle of failing a test, I'm just excited. I don't have to know who I might meet, or where I might go, or what kind of beer (pretend that says pastry, Mom) is the tastiest, because the answers to those questions reveal themselves, unlike the answers to physiology test questions.

    Despite how unprepared I feel, I'm just ready to get this adventure started. Hopefully I won't leave my jeans at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment