Thursday, January 29, 2015

Waiting for the Washer...

So I guess one of the pros/cons of Europe is the clothes washing system. My host family, like many other Germans, is pretty eco-friendly; therefore, there is no dryer. Which is really awesome on the bills, but also means that you have to plan out your laundry like at least 24 hours in advance or else you will be wearing wet pants to class (yep, already done that). Also, the washer literally runs a 90 minute cycle. ANYWAYS, the point is that I'm writing this blog because I'm waiting for my laundry to be done. Feels just like home.

Speaking of that, I recently made a list of "things I can buy that will make Germany feel more 'homey'". Long title, but super effective in helping the homesick blues from this weekend! I decided that "real" shampoo, not the cheap drugstore kind, was necessary (what am I, a heathen?) among other things like nail polish. So I went to the store yesterday with Ryan and decided to get my shampoo, which of course he was not very interested in. So as I was browsing the bottles covered in foreign words, he said, "Just pick one, all shampoo does the same thing anyways!" as I was holding a bottle of "haarausfall" shampoo. Fortunately, I had my phone translator and discovered that I was actually about to buy shampoo for HAIR LOSS! Crisis (barely) avoided.

I finally feel like I'm settling into a routine and becoming comfortable with my study habits, my schedule in the morning, etc. I'm also getting to understand the house/appliances better--my coffee finally tastes normal in the mornings! Eating dinner with my host parents is always nice as well. They often cook without meat or vegan style, but they've bought meat and eggs and stuff for my roommate and me so we don't shrivel away into nothing with our meat-dependent diets. I also am starting to feel comfortable enough with my baby-level German that I try speaking a few things to my host parents, which amuses them (but they also like it!). Today at the table, when I told them I was full they reminded me that "full" actually translates to slang for "ragingly drunk"! You should say "Ich bin satt" instead! My host mom commented, "well we only gave you tea, but I guess I should believe you!"

Of course, just as I feel like I'm settling in we're going to pack up and head to Vienna next week. I'M SO EXCITED. Vienna is like my dream place to go AND we're going to see the Lipizzaner stallions, which I've dreamed about doing since I was a kid. Yes, I am the horse-crazy girl of the bunch (there's always one).

Anyways, my laundry SHOULD be done by now....so more adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment