Sunday, January 27, 2019

Zweite Woche

The second week in Bonn is in the books, with more memories to go with it. I realized that last week,  I never mentioned my host family. I have a host dad, 2 host brother, and 2 host cats, all of which are extremely nice and welcoming. My dad is an excellent cook, so I eat well every night, and then my brothers both speak excellent English so communication is not a problem. I'm even more used to the public transportation system now, and I've only taken the train in the wrong direction one time. I did ride my host dad's bike to the store on Saturday and passed by my train station, so it might be easier if I had a bike to ride. I'm only here for a couple months though, so I doubt it's worth it to just take a few minutes off. 

My classes really kicked off this week, and of course swamped me with homework. I'm gonna say it now: this will not be a 4.0 semester, especially if I travel as much as I want to. Maybe if I get into a habit of doing my homework ahead of the night before its due I can manage, but even then it might be a struggle. My favorite classes so far are History of Medicine and German. German is a lot of fun, even though it's a hard language to pick up, and History of Medicine is super interesting because I get to see how all of the history I know connects to the development of modern medicine.

On Tuesday, we hopped on an early train to nearby Cologne. There, we promptly embarked on an almost 2 hour tour of the city which was very cool, but also very cold. Cologne is a beautiful city and has a ton of history behind it, and I definitely planning on visiting on one of my free weekends, to see the museums, chocolate factory, or lock bridge, preferably on a warmer weekend. But, after the city tour we took another tour of the cathedral, in which we climbed up through one of the main towers, and got to take an inside look into the history of the cathedral, as well as the physical cathedral itself. Again, very cold, but very cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment