Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 2


 Jan. 22: Cologne & the Kolner Dom

Europe's best churches


Taken from one of the highest points of the cathedral.


I lack the words to describe what I felt when I first left Cologne central station and laid my eyes upon the Kolner Dom, a cathedral whose size, for at least a moment, made me question whether or not I was truly seeing something real. Standing at 157 m (515 ft) tall, the Kolner Dom is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in Europe. As we made our way towards the immense structure, my awe at the size was slowly replaced with awe for the intricacy of each piece stone and marble that adorned seemingly every visible surface. Paired with a private group tour exploring the hidden rooms, architecture, and internal support structures of the church, I know that visiting Cologne has already become one of the most memorably experiences that I will have in Europe. 

Jan. 23: Snow(ish) Day




Although it may not look like much, snow in this region is apparently pretty rare, and given that I've only seen snow a handful of times, I figured I would mention it here ❄

Jan. 26: Beethoven & Jazz

Beethoven's personal viola.
Beethoven's childhood performance cloths.

Live jazz at a local bar.

There are few museums better suited for a music nerd like me than the Beethoven-Haus located in the central region of Bonn proper. Containing everything from original sheet music, personal letters, original instruments, and a listening room containing every full and partial composition from Beethoven's hand, the Beethoven-Haus was a must go. I was also lucky enough to stumble past a nearby pub where some live jazz was playing. A perfect way to end the music-themed day. 

Academic Review:
The "study" in study abroad became very apparent this week as Monday marked the first day in which classes were held. We wasted no time jumping right into the thick of cardiophysiology, basic circuit design, medical history, and medical device regulations. It also became soberingly clear that if I want any chance of balancing academic success with travel, I am going to have to devote a much larger percent of my weekdays to studying, working, and getting ahead in order to actually enjoy the "abroad". Lets just hope I can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment