Monday, January 21, 2019

Week 1 (20 Jan. 2019)

I generally strive to go into every new experience with as few expectations as possible. Being able to remove myself from a series of preconceived notions, emotional attachments, and ideas about what something is going to be like, especially something with which I've had little to no experience with, has been the only surefire way to ensure that when I first encounter a new experience, I am as in the moment as possible, unclouded from the mental restraints listed above. In most ways I feel like I lived up to this self-place goal. However there has been one small thing that has actually gone against my expectation for the better. I thought that this first week would fly by in a haze, but in many ways this week has felt much longer than just 7 days. In reflection, this comes as no surprise. Almost every day has been filled with something new and exciting from morning until night (and sometimes much later 🍺) and I honestly don' feel like this week could have been much better than it actually was.

With that being said, let me take you through my first full week in Germany.

Jan. 13-14: Arrival

Leaving IAH (Houston)
I began my week as you would imagine flying out of Houston to my new home. After catching a quick connecting flight in London and going through the very hectic process of meeting up with the others from my school in the Frankfurt airport to get on the bus, I was finally on my way to Bonn. Given that I had already been up for about 18 hours at this point, I considered sleeping on the two hour trek towards the university, but I as well as everyone else on the bus was too captivated by the rolling hills, mountains, and villages that characterized the German countryside. Shortly after arriving at the university where we received a brief welcome introduction, I was picked up by my host dad and taken home. It wasn't more than 30 seconds after I had thrown all my belongings into my room before we were back in the car touring the town. I immediately appreciated just how many different kinds of establishments were within a 5 minute walk from the house (pubs, restaurants, music venues, bakeries, etc). After a great first meal and some long conversation it was finally time for bed. While I had been up for about 32 hours at this point and was preparing for my first case of jetlag, I was finally home.

Jan. 15: Haus der Geschichte


We wasted no time jumping into learning about our new home with a visit to the Haus der Geschichte, or "House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany". With a private and insightful tour from the study abroad program director, we learned a great deal about the
History of Germany post WWII.

Jan. 16: Mayschoß Vineyard



I think I speak for most everyone in the program when i say that the visit to the Mayschoß vineyard was the high point of the week. Everything from the drive to get there, the vineyard and cellar tour, stunning views, food, and of course WINE!!! 🍷 was fantastic. Apart from all that was just mentioned, I also feel like this was the first day where we as a group really began opening up with each other. I consider myself very lucky that I am traveling with people who are natural and casual with each other from the get go. 

Jan. 18: Aachener Dom





While no one was particularly thrilled about waking up at 6 in the morning to take a bus to Aachen, you could be certain that you would not have heard a complaint about doing so by the time the day was through. Aachen is both the birthplace of the Holy Roman Empire through which Charlemagne ruled and home to the Aachener Dom, an amazingly beautiful cathedral and religious artifact depository.  

Jan.19: Night on the Town


Ice skating, drinks, pizza, and karaoke. What more needs to be said?

Academic Review:

As part of these weekly blog posts, I am required to at make some mention of what was done in an academic setting that week. Since classes don't really start until Monday, there is not much to say. However I can say that I am very excited to begin work on the Enmodes (German Bio-Tech Company) project as it will be my first real experience working at a biomedical engineering company. While I already know that it will probably one of the most difficult parts of the semester, I am sure that it will also be one of the most rewarding. 

Until next,
Sean S.

No comments:

Post a Comment