Sunday, January 13, 2019

Goodbye CSTAT, Hallo Bonn

I’m writing this as I pace around my living room, only a lot nervous. I keep checking my British Airways app to look at the time remaining til my flight, and each time my stomach drops, because this will be my first time in Europe, and only second time ever leaving the country. I’ve gone over all my luggage, weighed my checked bag and measured all my bags so I won’t get hit with an overage fee, and I’ve double checked all my paperwork numerous times but I still feel like I’m going to forget to bring my passport or something else vital. I’ll be at DFW in an hour and I’ll be in Frankfurt in about 12, and I know once I’m in Germany everything will feel right and I’ll be able to settle right into my new home for the next few months, but first I have to make it through TSA in one piece. I really am excited however; I already know it’ll be one of the the most notable experiences in my life. I’m thrilled to meet my host family in person, and I hope I’ll be able to fully immerse into their home, language, and culture. I’ve done almost no planning as far as extracurricular trips go, so I’m hoping the future spontaneity will add to the experience. Academically, I’m most excited about learning German, mostly because I think it will help me feel more comfortable in Germany, but also because I think it’s the one most special concrete things I’ll take away from this trip. And that’s really why I signed up for this program, the physical experiences that will hopefully live on as memories and knowledge. The only thing that could make me more excited for this trip, would be if my dog could fit in my carry-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment