Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 2 in Bonn

The weather is not the same here as it is in Texas. On the Cologne excursion was the coldest Ive felt in a long time. We had an incredible tour outside but the tour was almost unbearable due to how cold my face, feet and hands were. Even with two socks, gloves, two layer of fleece lined leggings and undershirts and a beanie I still had freezing stiff hands and feet. With the tour guide continuously taking us higher and higher up the beautiful cathedral the temperature kept dropping. And with snow on the way I was nervous that we would be walking in snow when we left the church. Luckily for us snow is often but not plentiful. So when it did start snowing it was light. However, the beautiful cathedral almost made it worth the trip. We had the privilege of getting a tour on the roof, and seeing the attic. We got to see old stained glass, the area with the three wise men, and got to the top of the cathedral. I felt so lucky and blessed to be next to so many holy relics like the three wise men. Im sad I didn't get to see more at Cologne but I know ill be back in no time looking at the chocolate museum and other art museums. As for my home life I finally did my first load of laundry two days ago and its still wet and damp. I have gained some weight but not much since my host family feeds me better then I would ever feed myself in school. At the dinner table last night my host mom was telling me about trends males do here, and she said "males love to show off their tutus to everywhere." I seriously thought she meant skirts and I was so confused for the longest time until my roommate told me she meant tattoos. Lastly, we went to Dubliners for the second weekend for karaoke night and got "booded" at again. For anyone reading this Germans don't like Taylor Swift, Dolly Parten, Lady GaGa,  and the Rolling Stones. I was very suprised when we started singing the Rolling Stones song and nobody knew it.

As for school German class is getting more enjoyable. I really want to learn to speak basic duesch by the end of the semester. Our German teacher gives us LOADS of homework but its okay and doesn't take up to much of my time. For Genetics I'm starting to realize its hard being away from the actual campus. Our professor hasn't posted any powerpoints or missed recorded lectures so im just reading the text book to learn the information; however, our exam is next week and we still need to go over four more chapters. My BIMS writing course was easy, we write about articles she post and then we comment on others pages about what they wrote. Im not looking forward to the boat loads of work for pharmacology this week but it will better when our professor gets to Vienna. The professor seemed nice when we facetimed her and I hope she will teach me a lot in the times to come. For physiology I was not able to pay any attention to anything Dr. Wasser was saying, I seriously hope that by reading the textbook I will be able to understand the information for later topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment