Sunday, January 20, 2019

Deutschland woche eins

Our first week in Germany is concluding and although it was exhausting, I've been having an amazing time! We got to meet our host families, Karima is such a nice host mom I cannot wait to spend the rest of the semester here. She makes super good food and it's always healthy! I'm always excited to eat here and I jokingly said I was going to make a recipe book of everything she makes, but I may actually do it. The history museum was very informative, Dr. Wasser is an engaging teacher.

The Mayschoss excursion was a blast, I already bought some souvenirs, and I am really enjoying all the walking we do. Aachen held so much history, I'm excited to travel Europe and experience the depth and richness of the cities. Even though I am still not speaking much German because I am embarrassed, I understand a lot during conversations now if I listen closely. I am looking forward to starting the intermediate class and pick up more German so that I can hopefully hold meaningful conversations soon.

During the weekend the group of us bonded over soon fun times (Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Melania!) and hiked the Godesburg castle in the suburb of Bonn I live in, Bad Godesberg. It was a short, lovely hike which lead us through a beautiful cemetery and ended with yummy food. I've tried lots of yummy food here and look forward to trying more. I also went Schlittschuh laufen (ice skating, I asked my host mom) before it closed for the season. Kids were way better than me but I was a lot better than what I normally skate like in the states. I had so much fun and got to end the weekend with a day trip to Frankfurt. My host mom drove and I was able to meet up with Gini, one of my old exchange students! It was so so good seeing her and she showed me around the part of town that they just rebuilt after the war damaged it, calling it the new old town. I love Frankfurt, I think it has more color than Bonn but I truly appreciate that Bonn is smaller so it has a small town vibe while being a classic European city.

I am nervous to start class and the Enmodes project but I am excited to learn! We have another busy week ahead of us and I look forward to Cologne. I'm starting to plan trips, mainly for concerts but I have been looking at places to go once we have our visas and are ready to rumble. Bis bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment