Monday, January 28, 2019

1/27/19
Two weeks down! This was our first full week of classes, and it was nice to get an idea of what the rest of the semester will look like. The first few History of Medicine lectures were very interesting, and I am very excited for the class. Physiology will also be an enjoyable experience, although the first lab was rough; but with more laptops and experience, they will run more smoothly as the semester progresses. German has continued to be very challenging for me. I find it very difficult to remember the words, but I think with some more effort and study time devoted to it, I will see more progress in that area. I would very much like to be able to hold a basic conversation in German by the end of the semester (or fluent, but I am keeping my goals realistic). I am especially excited for pharmacology this next week, as Dr. Fajt will be joining us in Germany and really starting the course material on Tuesday. Our first meeting wetted my interest in the subject, and I look forward to the rest of the class.
This weekend, I adventured to the Netherlands with four other students from the program. We spent Friday night to Sunday afternoon in Maastricht, the southernmost city of the low-lying country. It was our first travel experience on our own, but the short two-hour bus ride and hostel accommodations made it an easy trip to plan. We enjoyed Belgian-style waffles, the best French fries of my life from a restaurant called Reitz, and several restaurants in the main squares of Maastricht. There was also an abundance of interesting and historical architecture, both in the residential areas as well as the churches and fortresses of the city. We also visited a natural history museum, and we enjoyed a tour of the limestone mining tunnels that stretch under the city. Touring the tunnels was one of my favorite experiences. Decorated with artwork from the twentieth century, the tunnels have existed for hundreds of years as limestone mines. Throughout their history, they have been used as safehouses for the citizens of Maastricht during war as well as a smuggling system for goods and people during the world wars. Many Jews escaped through the tunnels to Belgium to flee the Nazis during the second world war.
All in all, it was a very good week. I am continuing to get to know my host family and fellow students, but I have realized that the time is flying by and will not slow down for anyone. I am more determined to make the most of my time here and continue having once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment