Sunday, January 20, 2019

Finished my First week in Germany!

When my plane landed in Frankfort I felt many emotions running though me, the first was that I was relieved to be off the 10 hour plane ride that I was miserable on. I had watched one movie and began to watch another when I began to feel tired and nervous, so I decided I would eat only a few bites of the food they gave me, and by the time there was only a few hours left all I wanted was to feel better and get more then 2 hours of sleep. And when there was only 20 minutes left on the plane ride I did what any other nervous person would have done, I through up in a paper bag in my seat. When the plane landed I was thankful that three other students on my program were on the same plane, so that we could walk together to luggage claim and the meeting point. With only running on two hours of sleep, excitement and adrenaline I was able to stay awake through the 2 hour bus ride to bonn and I was happy that I did because the German countryside was beautiful. That night I met with my host mom and was surprised with some of the house rules. First of all I had to put on a timer to take a shower so that I wouldn't exceed 5 minutes, and to not enter any other part of the house that was not shown to me. However, due to not getting much sleep on the plane I hopped into bed and slept so well even with a bad mattress and pillows. The next few days consisted of tours of bonn and seeing the market square where I had my very first currywurst, which I thought was going to be Indian curry with sausage but was very suprised when I figured out afterwards that it was a German dish. On Thursday we went to visit a Cathedral in Aachen and I was blown away with the number of holy relics that were present. And lastly on Saturday morning I completed a hike to a dragon castle in Bonn that was probably the hardest hike I've ever done in my life. I feel that I have adjusted well to the new environment and I couldn't have done it without my Buddys that live in the same neighborhood, my roommate and AIB keeping my mind distracted.

The first week of school has been pretty slow. As a BIMS major our first real class started on the day of arrival. The class from TAMU would FaceTime us and the professor talked about the syllabus with us. Our second class was German class that lasted 3 HOURS long. The class was way to long for me and by the last hour my attention span nearly hit the floor. I honestly can't remember anything she taught us that last hour. But our German teacher did give us a nice note book to study simple German numbers and phrases. Lastly was our trip to Achen to visit Enmodes. The presentation gave us an idea of how the semester project would be. We have to come up with 10 problems, 1 problem from each category they give us and by the end of the semester 1 topic will be chosen. Im excited to see how I can apply my knowledge to the real world with this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment