Monday, January 21, 2019

Pre-Departure Blog (12 Jan. 2019)

And so the time has come.

In less than 24 hours, I will be on a plane heading towards the country that will serve as my home for the next four months.

I find it almost funny that after months of planning, buying cloths and supplies, applying for financial aid, and doing every other bit of minutiae needed to go on a study abroad, the full weight of me leaving everything that I am familiar with here in the U.S. didn't truly strike me until today. In a sense I have missed the forest for the trees, becoming so bogged down in the details of what I needed to do to travel that I never seriously considered the implications of what going to a completely new continent means. However this realization was not accompanied by a sense anxiety, nervousness or even fear. More so it was a feeling of excitement, a feeling of rushing into a refreshing new. I truly look forward to the culture shock, to the disorienting feeling of being surrounded by a culture, language, and geography that is neither my own nor familiar to me in any way. Only time will tell if this sentiment holds.

Since I have always felt that this St. Augustine quote perfectly captures my thoughts on traveling, I feel it appropriate to be the ending of my first post to this site:

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page".

I look forward to the many pages that lie ahead.

Until next,
Sean S.

No comments:

Post a Comment