Sunday, January 20, 2019

All of the firsts!

          The first week is over and I'm glad to say that nothing traumatic happened. It has been such a joy getting accustomed to life in Bonn. I constantly find myself in awe of everything I see; there is so much beauty here! This week was filled with excursions and introductions which left me feeling very tired but I enjoyed every bit of it because I know that it won't last forever. I have enjoyed settling in to my host family. My host mom Anne cooks such great food and I also feel pretty independent at the house which I did not expect but really appreciate. Living with Vivian has been one of my favorite things so far. We have laughed so much, gotten lost, and even missed a bus, all of which would have been way less fun on my own. I feel like I am still transitioning to fully understand the public transportation. My commute is about 35-40 minutes total which is very different than College Station. In a way it is forcing me to take on a slower pace of life which I do like, so instead of dreading it I am trying to appreciate it. 


        Going to Aachen was definitely the highlight of my week. It was the first time I had seen a large European cathedral and it was breathtaking. I also appreciated getting to learn a bit about the history behind it as well. My online class started this week so I spent time working on that as well as having our first German class. I did not expect German to be so difficult, but honestly it is a bit overwhelming at the moment. I expected more people to be able to speak English here, but there have been multiple times were I have had to order food with someone who doesn't speak English which was pretty difficult. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have some of the basics down. I am looking forward to starting my other classes this coming week. I am especially excited for physiology because I am sure that I will love it!

Until next time, Tschüss!

Ana Hurtado

No comments:

Post a Comment