Sunday, January 20, 2019

Ice skating with frozen margaritas in 27 degree weather

I'm quite glad that this blog is a requirement. I always intend on journaling when I reach a new place or phase in my life, but time moves so fast that I can't keep up. This blog is a quick and easy substitute for it.

It is much colder here than probably anywhere I've been. The only place that rivals it is maybe the ski slopes in Colorado- but I don't even remember feeling this cold there. I really need to buy more protective clothing soon.

Week one has passed- and here are the highlights. Rooming with Ana has been great; having a partner for getting lost makes it more lighthearted. Anne, my host mom, and her daughter Clara, are the sweetest people. They definitely defy all the German stereotypes! Going to wine tasting on the hill in Mayschauss was wonderful and beautiful. The dinner they served us was delicious and better than il cibo d'italia. The Aachener Dom was gorgeous and will probably be one of my favorite sites for the next few months. I learned all about Charlemagne in my Renaissance class and yet had no idea that Aachen was his capital! Seeing his grave was surreal.


Ice skating with the group was as fun as I imagined. I love to ice skate and they really know what they're doing here. It was humbling to see nine year olds be much better than me at something. Afterwards, going to Tacos and sitting outside for happy hour drinks and celebrating Melania's birthday was delicious but FREEZING. We went to Blow Up for very cheap shots and danced (my other favorite thing to do, next to ice skating) By the end, Ana and I had to leave to catch our bus and ended up missing it by 4 seconds. Luckily, there was another bus 15 minutes later. (We didn't know that at first and thought we would have to taxi)


It has been awesome taking this journey through history, all the way from B.C. to 1990. I didn't know this is what I was in for, but I love it and can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment