Sunday, January 13, 2019

Post-Pre-Departure Expectations

My flight from Florence to Germany departs in 10 hours. I meant to write my first entry while I was in America before I departed for Italy, but I never got around to it and now here we are. It’s been 18 days since I landed here and I feel like it has prepared me a lot for Germany. It’s a bit unfair because I got a miniature study abroad experience and have more insight writing this entry now than I would have had 3 weeks ago. Here is what I’ve experienced and how I expect Germany to be different.
Before coming, and still today, I have been extremely apprehensive that something will happen to my family. I have a lot of sick family members and I’ve been praying that I make it home to them in June. That has remained constant, but many other worries have changed. I thought Italy was going to be unorganized and I wouldn’t make any friends because the group of 14 was made of entirely girls that I didn’t know and none of them were my major either. I thought I wouldn’t know any Italian and I thought I wouldn’t need to do too much schoolwork.
All incorrect! And delightfully so. I made great friends with the girls. Maybe not each one, but I enjoyed them all despite all our differences in interests and personalities. Was there as much drama as you might expect? Absolutely! But it was easy to squash and going through the same struggles and exhaustion from such busy days made us feel connected. The few Duolingo exercises I had done months before were triggered in my brain when I heard Italian spoken all around me and it was easy to pick up since many words are similar to Spanish, which was exciting. I never once had an issue getting around or speaking to a local. I didn’t think I had to actually read the textbook much, but that was wrong. However, I was appreciative of that. I signed up for Italy not because Italy was a place I craved to go, but because the course was intriguing. I learned so much and it was satisfying. The other girls took a more negative view on the intensity, but thats okay. Maybe they will look back and realize it was a good thing.
               In our Health and Safety meetings for study abroad, we were shown a diagram about the ‘Study Abroad Rollercoaster’ that depicted a student’s emotions during the program. First was the honeymoon phase, then frustration, then acclimation. The advisors said that the shorter programs may never get to the frustration phase since the honeymoon lasts a few weeks. I expected frustration in Germany, but not Italy. I was wrong about that, too. Italy has been an absolute dream- but not perfect. As I prepare for Germany, I know a bit more about how things work in Europe. I’m used to excessive walking, to public transportation, to communication, payment methods, customer service, safety, etc. (Especially after getting my wallet stolen here!) I’ve also learned that we are so spoiled in America when it comes to all of those things!
               In Germany, however, I expect to spend much less on food and far more on travelling. I expect more free time. I expect communication with locals (at least in German) to be far more difficult- I have no prior knowledge of German or anything near it in the way that I did for Italian. Although it’s a bit of a shame that Italy has desensitized me from being out of America before I get to Germany (lessening the excitement and mystery a bit), I’m sure there are still so many surprises left in store.

               I miss Dr. Pepper. I miss Gumby’s. I miss clothing dryers and good apartment heating. I miss hearing English in coffee shops. I miss being able to glance at signs and know what they mean without needing to decode them. I miss having phone service. But I’ll be fine. Auf Weidersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment