Sunday, March 4, 2018

Zu feiern und zu studieren // K A R N E V A L

The meaning of the title is "To party and To study." This is a saying during Karneval that our German teacher shared with us and I thought it would be a perfect title for this blog.  Enough of that....onto today's blog! But wait...before I continue with this blog, i think it will be helpful to share with you what karneval is really about. So Karneval is a time period where Germans go all out and dress up in very interesting costumes in preparation for lent. It was celebrated where I am in Bonn for 4 days. So basically it is a time of dressing up in fun, crazy costumes, lots of drinking, participating in many parades and eating as many kamella (candies) as you possible can. Okay so here is my account of what happened during these four days of Karneval.

Koln Alaf! Karneval was crazy, wild and fun. On Thursday, the first day of Karneval, we went to the beuel parade, where we got tons of kamella (candies). It was so much fun and wild. It was interesting to see Germans, who are typically not outwardly crazy, go crazy. On Friday, I stayed home and got some stuff in order and did homework. At night, we went out and just walked around. The night scene was a little less exciting for me. Everyone was drinking, partying, I even saw a lady that drank a lot to the point where she couldn't walk and that was not fun to see. The next day, on Saturday, I stayed home and hung out with my host parents, and did laundry and caught up with school work. On Sunday, I went to a parade, where I volunteered to be a part of the parade with the people at the Therapiezentrum Bonn, a place that takes care of disabled residents, and handed out some kamellas. As we were about to leave for the Likura parade (LImericht, dinghoven, and RAmersdorf--places we went to on the parade),  I was asked to be interviewed by a local news reporter.  I said yes and the next day I was on the local newspaper; talking about the best souvenir ever, am I rite? 

 On Sunday evening, a couple of us went to a bar to celebrate Mitchell's birthday. On Monday, I stayed home again at the beginning of the day. At around 3pm ish, Lexie and I went on a walk along the Rhine river. It was so beautiful and it was a good time! Afterwards, we went to an Asian restaurant and we got some fried rice which was super delicious. My favorite things about Karneval was the candies, being on the newspaper, and my host mom's Karneval pastery (which are little donuts with powdered sugar on them). Karneval was certainly an experience. 

Next weekend, I am off to Triberg, a town in Germany, with Nicky, Kate, Corey, Mitchell! 
I will keep you updated.

Bis spater. 


More pictures:
die zwei

die drei 

Twirling by the Rhine River

Found my family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment