Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Week 9: Italia


Hello internet!

It’s the end of spring break and I ended it in the airport floor of Milan for 6 hours. Italy was nice, but I am SO ready to be back in Germany.

My Italian adventure started out in Rome. The people at the airport were scary and the taxi ride uncomfortable (due to the scary people at the airport setting up our taxi ride), but Rome kind of grew on me by the end of our stay.

We saw all the sights that one sees when they visit Rome: the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Sistine Chapel (which is technically in Vatican City), the Roman Forum, and the Trevi Fountain (which is GORGEOUS at night!). They were all cool historical landmarks and I felt like a true tourist taking pictures outside each one of them. My favorite was definitely the Colosseum though, because I think it’s such a remarkable piece of architecture and now I feel like I need to watch the movie Gladiator so I can see the place in action!

Furthermore in Rome, meals were had (of course) and the most notable was at this delicious Italian restaurant (I can’t remember the name) that served the best carbonara in the world paired with the most fantastic waiter. He was this old man who was super playful and gave us free digestives after our meal (digestives meaning assorted alcoholic beverages). Apparently in Italy, it is typical to have two courses for dinner: a pasta dish and then a meat-containing main dish. I was able to get away with only eating a pasta dish during most meals but I have to say, if I lived in Italy and did that every day, I’d be pretty obese but also pretty content.

The last part of the spring break was spent in Cinque Terre. By this time, I think a lot of people are getting annoyed at one another pretty easily and we’re all about ready to fly back to Bonn. One of the nights, I was feeling extremely homesick and ended up facetiming my parents and messaging all my host sisters individually as well as my host mother Margarita. It’s funny that after being away from Germany I start to feel this way, but I never felt sad to be away from America. Sure, I miss my family and my puppies a lot, but I do not miss the place like I do Bonn. Who knows? Maybe I’ll be back in Germany for good one day J

My cousin and I!

Anyways, in Cinque Terre, the most amazing thing happened: I met up with my cousin who I haven’t seen in like 12 years! Her name is Jessica and she was born in Italy and has lived there her whole life. She took a train for 2 hours to meet with me in Cinque Terre, and we struggled climbing up the steep stairs during the long outdoor hike together. She brought a friend named Vincenccio (must be the most Italian name I have ever heard) and he bonded well with Alwin. We talked about European fashion and how Alwin could certainly use some improvements in with his.

At the end of the day, Alwin and I waved them off as they headed back to Pisa on the train. It was lovely to spend time with some kind of family, and just what I needed to sustain me until I got back to Bonn.

All in all, the past two weeks of traveling were pretty eye opening. I really didn’t think I’d be as tired or feel so sad to be away from Germany for so long. I also didn’t think I’d miss the other students quite so much. I think it was all a growing experience and I definitely learned a lot about other cultures and the history behind each place. For now though, I’m ready to work hard in school again and enjoy my dinnertime meals with my host family. Tonight I showed them all my photos and we talked for a long time during dinner and it reminded me why I love this place so much J

Now it’s time for me to study, but thanks for reading!

Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment