Friday, March 2, 2018

Carnival (aka no sleep)

Hey look I finally made another blog post. 

As far as Carnival goes, it was great. I feel like it was kind of like super hyped, long Halloween, mainly because there was so much candy. On the first day, we attended the Bonn parade and boy was I glad I had brought a big bag because I filled that sucker all the way with candy. The parade itself was a lot different than parades at home. Some of the floats were ginormous and you could tell they are used year after year, rather than back home where they just decorate trailers and cars. They were so big that they had to be pulled by farm tractors, and turning the corners with those long floats was an ordeal. At the Bonn parade, we stood on the corner of the street so when those big floats started to turn, we had to scramble or scoot back to not get run over. However, having those big floats come so close to us meant we got to get up close to the people in the floats. This meant we were able to talk to the float people and get more stuff. 

After this parade, we went to another parade in Roisdorf. By train. The worst thing I have ever done in  my life. I love trains, but not people. Waiting for the train, more and more people kept showing up to an already overflowing platform. Once the train arrived, I felt like a herd of cattle being shoved into a tiny pen. The only way I got onto the train was because I was so squished, I was kinda just carried onto the the train. Good news was though that I was right by the doors and we got off at the very next stop, so as soon as those doors open I was out and gone. 

During the weekend of Carnival we decided to try and going up to the ruins on the seven hills just as a way to relaxing day and to see if there was anything going on up there. We failed. We got off the train somewhere near the end of line 66 feeling confident we could find our way to a bus that would take us close to the trails for the hills. Unfortunately, the buses were not running on this day at the stop we needed due to the fact the little village we were in were having there own parade. Sadly, we got to the village too late that the parade had already ended, so no candy for us. So instead of being productive and hiking and exercising we got ice cream. Instead of heading straight back to the main part of Bonn, we wandered around this little village in search of something warm to drink ie we were looking for a cafe. And we found one that not only serves hot chocolate and the like, but waffles and wonderful ice cream combos as well. 10/10

Rose Montag provided us with another, even bigger, glorious parade. I actually saw a lady on the train the next day reading the newspaper with pictures from parade and everything I got to see in the parade was in the newspaper. Side note: like the entire newspaper was in color. I'm used to seeing only the front pages of newspapers with color, but this one went all out. Any who, parade was marvelous my candy bag became even heavier that from the first parade honestly should have probably brought more bags. Another note, this parade was the longest parade I have ever been to in my  life. It was like 3.5 hours long and it started snowing at one part it was wild. After parade, night happened, drinks consumed, food (candy) eaten. We went out for a little bit after the parade and we were surprised to see the people who were partying near us during the parade and after the parade were still going strong. We joined the particular street party and had a great time, good way to end the day and thus Carnival thanks and gig'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment