Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Fantastic France


This week, I travelled all over France. First, we started at Colmar to see the Isenheim alter. The paintings here were simply amazing. I was completely entranced. My favorite painting was the one with St. Anthony getting attacked by the demons. Each demon looked so different, which I took to symbolize the multitude of sins that people face. Later, we visited Beaune and went to Hotel Dieu. After that, we bussed to Paris. Here, we visited the museum of medical history in Paris. The walls were covered with devices used in medical operations, from the rudimentary to the super gross. For dinner, we had crepes. But these weren't the regular crepes that I was used to. These crepes were easily the best I had. The savory one, covered in cheese, ham, and an egg, was both hot and delicious. The see crepe I had, which featured a lemon juice, was incredibly sweet and tangy. Later, we hit the main sight of Paris: the Eiffel Tower. Honestly, I thought the Eiffel tower was a tad overrated. Yes, it was a tall tower that gave me some cool pictures. However, it did not compare to the CN Tower back in Toronto. That was so much taller and gave a breathtaking 360 view of the city below. But I did appreciate the history behind building the Eiffel tower and learning about how often it needs to be painted. Finally, I visited the Louvre. Here I saw many incredible pieces of art and was able to take a lot of silly selfies with the statues. The sight to see in the museum was none other than the Mona Lisa. But the Mona Lisa itself was actually quite disappointing. It was just a tiny portrait that paled in comparison to some of the other works in the museum. My favorite area was the room full of massive paintings. It was covered in such detail that I could not help but stare in awe. Overall, I had to say France was somewhat disappointing. It was really expensive and did not wow me like I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment