Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Week 7: The Land of France


Bonjour internet!

By now, the Paris excursion has come to a close and everyone is heading on their merry way to their spring break destinations. But first, let me tell you all about France!  

The morning of the excursion appeared to begin well. I was out the door with breakfast in hand at a reasonable time and I knew I wasn’t going to be super late. But of course, as I was walking through Hoffgarden towards the bus, I realized I forgot a major item pertinent to the next two weeks of traveling: my Damn Passport. I had to take a taxi back to the house to run and get it while the rest of the bus waited for me, which was not the best way to start the day, but it was a growing moment.
After that was solved, we were on our way to the little town of Colmar.

In Colmar, we went to visit the Isenheim Altar, a marvelous wooden masterpiece rediscovered by the monuments men depicting Jesus Christ in various paintings. The altarpiece was definitely astounding, even to a girl who doesn’t have a strong faith in religion. After seeing that marvelous sight we went to Beaune where we ate dinner in the cutest restaurant. I had the snails for starters, a weird fish thing for my main course, and the chocolate mousse for dessert. The owner of the restaurant joined us inside and taught us a fun French song to commemorate our meal together and it was a very lovely first day in France. That night, these two French boys were dancing along the street. I tried to join in, but they shut me down. Now I know that French boys aren’t for me.

In Beaune, we visited the Hotel Dieu, which is this old hospital/church where sick people would go for free healthcare. It was a pretty cool sight, seeing the red silky beds that had to be shared by 4-8 people, and it showed how little we understood about medicine back then since people would pass sicknesses along to each other by sharing these beds. I think I recall them using snail slime as a kind of ointment too. Bottom line, French people love their snails.

After these two town hops, we made our way to the main attraction: Paris. The Eiffel tour at night was remarkable, and the lights of the city surrounding the tour illuminated far and beyond. It was not as pretty as Budapest, but it’s up there. The Louvre is the best museum I’ve ever been to in my life, with its fair share of history from its exhibition of its original walls, to its paintings of the French Revolution, and the very underwhelming Mona Lisa. No offense to da Vinci, but he’s done better.

In Paris, we got to try French macarons which was delicious (obviously) and our tour guide Julian had just the right of amount of style and sass, so I whole trip was a great time. On the last night, we explored the city and went to the Moulin Rouge and had a delicious 3 course meal out in the city. Other major landmarks we visited included the Notre Dame, Arc of Triumph and the city of Versailles.

  



 All I can say after this excursion is Germany is still number 1 in my heart, but I’ll be back in Paris one day. I got to save the money first though because everything there is crazy pricey.

 Anyway, I got to go since I’ll be heading to Croatia soon. I’ll share all about it in my next blog post.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment