Sunday, March 19, 2023

Week 10!!!

Yay spring break!!!

Continuing from week 9, my mom and I took a day trip to Rothenburg. Our tour guide was so funny. It took us about 2 hours to get there. We were able to walk around the city for a while and explore on our own. On the way back, we stopped in Wurzburg. This small town reminded me of Bonn, it was so cute. When we got back to the hotel, we used Wolt to have our dinner delivered to our hotel room since we were so tired. Then all of the sudden, the flight that my brother, boyfriend, and 2 friends were supposed to take got delayed by 3 hours so the new departure time was 1:30 AM. Their flight was going to London and then they were going to have a connection to Rome. But now, they were going to miss their connection. My mom and I got so worried and made some calls. It was stressful but eventually, we were able to get them a later flight. On Tuesday, my mom and I headed to FRA so we could catch our flights. It was kind of a mess because your flights are in different terminals but it worked out. I hated saying bye to my mom again but I knew I would see her soon. I then boarded my flight to Rome. It was only 2 hours so it went by quickly. It was my first flight alone. I took a taxi to our hotel and waited for my company to join me. The taxis drive so crazy in Rome. Finally, at 1AM, my friends were here!! I was so happy to see them. We went to sleep after talking for a bit and then woke up early on Tuesday. We went to a little bakery and enjoyed a nice breakfast outside. We then had a long tour of the Colosseum and it was so interesting. I ran into Elizabeth there which was funny. After, we enjoyed a nice lunch at a restaurant our tour guide recommended to us. I tried my first Aperol Spritz and it was alright. We all got pizza (including gluten-free for JC) and it was SO GOOD. After, we walked back to the hotel and had nap time since my friends were jetlagged. In the evening, Madi, Brooke, JC, and I went to a beautiful park to watch the sunset. It overlooked the city so we had the best view, it could not have been better. For dinner, we met my cousin and his girlfriend in the neighborhood my cousin lives in. he is also currently studying abroad, so it was fun to talk to him about that. The food we ate was so good, the pasta in Rome is unbelievable. We got gelato after and then my friends and I went to a bar and shared some wine. It was fun and then we headed home. On Thursday, we woke up a bit later and had a slow morning, We got breakfast near the hotel. After, we took the tram to the Vatican. We had a tour there of the galleries, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. I was just so amazed at everything I saw, especially the Sistine Chapel. I am so glad I got to go and see all of the art with my own eyes. After the tour, we made our way back to the area near our hotel. We were so hungry because we did not eat lunch so we ordered a lot of food. It was all so good. We got different kinds of bruschetta, calzones, pizzas, pastas, and desserts. It was a very fun and needed meal. On Friday, we went to the Trevi Fountain early in the morning which was a good choice because it was not as crowded. We went to a bakery near the fountain and it was not very good.. and JC got glutened! it was so unfortunate. We went to some shops near the fountain and eventually got on a bus near the Spanish steps. We went all around Rome and since we were sitting on the second floor of the bus, I was able to see so much. We stopped for lunch and then got gelato, again. We went to the Pantheon and then did some more shopping. By the time we got to the hotel, we were so tired. We did not want to leave the hotel so instead, we ordered food to the hotel and watched Batman. it was very fun. We woke up early Saturday morning to meet our tour. We all got on a bus and headed to Tuscany. First, we went to the city of Montepulciano. It was beautiful, I cannot believe people live there. Then, we headed to a family-owned restaurant and vineyard. Everyone was so nice there. We had a wine tasting and a 3-course lunch. It was all so good. We got back on the bus and went to Pienza. It was the prettiest town I have ever been to. We got MORE gelato and then did some shopping. The weather could not be more perfect. We got back on the bus and I think we all fell asleep. We got back into Rome around 19:30 and then walked around to find a place for dinner. I know I say this about every meal, but this meal was so good. It was so nice to have one last dinner together. We got gelato one more time and then headed back to the hotel. JC and I talked for a bit before our early wake-up of 5:45. Sunday morning, we packed all my things. I started to get so sad. I hate leaving JC and although I am so glad I got to see him, it is hard to say goodbye again. And then I said goodbye to my 2 best friends and brother. At 7AM, I was in an uber to the airport and already crying. I navigated my way through Rome FCO and cried again in the airport, and again when I got back home in Siegburg. I love my time in Germany, but it is so hard to be without the people I love and who love me most. I know this is a transformative experience, but today is hard and one of those days when I just want to go home. But I only have 6 more weeks here, which is good and bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment