Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Week 10! (spring break)

This week was so amazing! It was amazing being able to see my parents again after 9 weeks and we were all able to get together - my host family and my real family - all got together for a meal on Sunday. 

Monday I showed my parents and my family friend around Bonn and Cologne, unfortunately I forgot that all the museums are closed on Monday so the haus der geschichte was not an option for us. 

Tuesday morning we left for Rome, it was warm and sunny and we stayed right next to the Colosseum. Dinner was in a cute little café with amazing food and wine. 

Wednesday started with tours - we went complete tourists and walked around with radios and all - but going into the coliseum was super cool and also walking around the roman forum (I ran into Amanda inside the coliseum which was super funny). One thing that was crazy was that women were deemed the problem during these events and banished up to the very top of the amphitheater with the slaves. Then we walked around the city to see what we could see. 

Thursday was our tour of the Vatican City and the Sistine Chappell - it was absolutely stunning but there were so. many. people. it kind of made it suffocating for me instead of being able to appreciate the beauty and art. Then later that day we went to see the catacombs and the aqueducts which I thought were the coolest being an engineer. Then that night being our last in Rome we came across a fancier place and we were European-dining - we stayed for 3 hours until 11pm and I loved every minute of it. It was relaxed, there was great food, great wine, and it was such a nice atmosphere. 

Friday was our last day in Rome so we made sure we did the things left that we wanted to do - we went to see a museum of sculptures, saw the city from a look out point, and eat gelato of course. We then headed home to Frankfurt and then waited for a delayed train (of course).

Saturday I said goodbye to my parents at the train station (after a cancelled train - thanks DB) and then headed home for a lazy weekend to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment