Sunday, March 19, 2023

Week 10: I Felt like a Gladiator

     Oh my god, Italy was absolutely incredible. We started out in Venice and there is nowhere else like it. All of the canals between the buildings and the thin streets between the buildings made for a charming little city. We were able to go on a gondola ride and ended up sharing it with a Hispanic couple that talked to Olivia in Spanish. They could not have been sweeter and it was interesting getting to talk to them about where they were from and where all they had been on their family vacation. 

    After Venice we traveled to Florence. Florence was an interesting city but it was very art oriented which is not really my cup of tea. We went on this three hour tour around the city and through the art museum with Michelangelo's huge David statue. It was interesting but I just was as invested with the history as I was with the tour in Venice. We did find some great leather shops to visit there though. Spent way more than I should have but I had to have both of the leather jackets I bought and honestly when will I be back in Italy to buy Italian leather jackets? Not soon. 

    After Florence we visited Rome. When I tell you I felt like a nerd the entire trip I really mean it. All of the ancient Roman architecture and history was right up my alley. Our first tour was a vespa tour at night so Olivia and I were able to see important monuments without all of the crowds around them. The city was gorgeous at night with all of the landmarks lit up. The Colosseum/Roman Forum tour was by far my favorite (surprise surprise). Being on the ground level made me imagine what it must have been like to be a gladiator in the games performing for huge crowds. The food that I had was honestly nothing special, but I don't like pasta or pizza, so it's not like my bar was set very high.

    I had an absolute ball, but by the end of the week, I was glad to be back in Germany. I kinda missed seeing all of the German writing and being able to understand some of what was around me. I also really missed Erin and Kass. I spend so much of my time with them that they have become a constant in my life. It's going to be hard not being around them all of the time come the end of the program. That is several weeks away, however, so I'm just going to fully enjoy the time I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment