Sunday, April 30, 2023

Week 16: April 24-May 2

It’s the last week in Germany. How crazy is that?! I remember being one week into the program and still thinking that the 15 weeks left felt like forever. Now, here I am thinking that there is no possible way it has already been 16 weeks. I’m starting to get excited to see my family and friends, my boyfriend, and my dog (!!!), but I’m also sad that my time in Bonn is coming to an end.

This week was filled with tests. On Monday, we had our last physiology lecture, and then I spent most of the day finishing up our DHF. On Tuesday, I spent the whole morning studying for exam 3 in physiology. It went pretty well, thankfully. I then took Tuesday night and Wednesday morning off from studying because after Enmodes and the first test, I was tired of studying and needed some sleep. On Wednesday afternoon, we had our German final and then our last pharmacology class. After class, Erin’s host mom took me, Elizabeth, and Erin out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Bad Honnef. We drank margaritas and forgot about the stress of exams for a few hours. It was really fun! Then, on Thursday, I studied all morning and took my physiology final in the afternoon. It was my last day of class as an undergrad!

On Friday, we had an AiB-wide excursion to Braubach to visit Marksburg Castle. I was not expecting the hike up to the castle, but it ended up not being that bad. The castle was really pretty and had a cool history. I particularly enjoyed touring the living quarters and learning about the evolution of armor. I didn’t realize musketeers were called that because they carried muskets until our tour guide mentioned it. Who knew?! Then, we ate schnitzel and headed home. Thankfully, we beat the rain by like 5 minutes. Right when we pulled out of the parking lot, a torrential downpour started.

On Saturday, I went to Cologne with a few people to celebrate Jackson’s birthday. We had drinks, ate more schnitzel, and shopped. I learned that Sion is spelled with an S and not an L like lion and that I don’t hate Sion Kölsch as much as other beers. I headed back to Bonn around 3pm, did a little bit more shopping for last-minute gifts and souvenirs, and then went home to start packing.

On Sunday, I had a lazy day. I slept in a bit, watched Netflix, and continued to pack. I finished the final revisions on the DHF and updated my blog posts. Today is my host dad’s birthday, so I got to meet my oldest host brother, Felix, who was over for breakfast. Stefan doesn’t like to make a huge deal out of his birthday, though, so we didn’t do anything to celebrate.

Tomorrow, we have our last excursion to Drachenfels. It’s a full circle moment because, if you remember, we hiked up Drachenfels during our first week here. Hopefully it won’t be below freezing and raining tomorrow. Plus, we’re taking the cog train up the mountain this time, so that will be nice. Then, I’ll finish packing and have a nice goodbye dinner with my host family.

On Tuesday, I leave Bonn at 6am to head to the airport. I’ve downloaded 16 episodes of Suits for the plane, so that should be plenty to keep me occupied during the 11-hour flight.

So with that, goodbye Bonn, and goodbye Europe. It has been an incredible, life-changing experience that I will never forget. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment