Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Week 12

France week! 
We did so much traveling this week. We went to Beaune, Colmar, Paris, Lyon, and Freiburg. 

Beaune was very nice. It honestly reminded me of Bonn a little bit. Touring the old poor hospital was very cool. I enjoyed seeing the her garden and the pharmacy wing the most. Dr.Wasser quizzed us on history of medicine in the hospital and we all kind of dropped the ball (we feel bad sorry Dr.Wasser, we will do better on the cruise). I think it is fascinating to see how medicine was so long ago. I also enjoyed seeing the polyptych there. I will say I find it strange that the commissioner always try to include themselves in the artwork. 

The artwork we saw in Colmar was amazing. The colors were so vibrant and I really enjoyed seeing the art pieces. I think religious artwork can get kind of repetitive always depicting the same stories and using the same colors so  really appreciated how colorful and engaging this religious art was. It was the first realistic depiction of a crucifixion that I've ever seen and I was like wow if I was a beggar in olden times and I saw that I would be like wow can't believe that guy went through that, I wouldn't want to go through that, and he lived, thats crazy, he must be the messiah. Obviously that wasn't my train of thought present day but I could see why a peasant would think that back in the day. 

Much to my surprise, Paris was very clean and I really liked the city. Seeing the Eiffel tower in the day was underwhelming but it at night was beautiful. I loved getting to walk around Paris and see all the different landmarks and learning about the history of the city. The fact that Paris still only had 2.2 million people living within its "border" was amazing, and I loved the fact that the city kept the original architecture of the city and made the business skyscraper sector build outside the city limit. I loved the Louvre. There was so much history and art there. I got to see everything from Hammurabi's code, crown jewels, Da Vinci's artwork, to greek sculptures. I would 100% love to go again. My mom told me this story about how before I was born and companies threw parties, the company my dad worked for rented out the Louvre. At first I didn't think that was that cool but after seeing the Louvre I'm super jealous. I would love to spend hours in there just by myself. We got some free time that day before group dinner so Peri and I went to the Paris Catacombs. There is an estimated 6 million Pariasians buried down there. If you ever need anything to put life in perspective, go there because it will show you how a test really was just a test when your standing next to millions skeletons. Peri geeked out the whole time so it was worth it to see. A group of us went to the Eiffel tower at night and it was beautiful. We were supposed to go to Versaille but the transportation strike prevented that so we went to another region of Paris. It was cool to see the artists quarter. There was an excellent gluten free bakery there that that a bunch of delicious pastries. The chocolate croissants were a 10/10. 

Lyon was very pretty. It reminded me of Porto but it unfortunately started to pour rain on us. A group of us stayed in and had a charcuterie board and netflix night which was a lot of fun. 

Peri, Kassy, and I then went Freiburg. We hiked a bit in the Black Forest and it was very nice. The first day we hiked it rained on us the entire time but it was still fun and worth it. We ate at a restaurant that had gluten free schnitzel and it was delicious. It was super fun to see the region but I was happy to be heading back to Bonn. I've gotten Peri hooked on Ted Lasso so we watched it on the train. I'm ready for the next week and traveling over Easter weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment