Tuesday, April 4, 2023

The Best Country in the World - FRANCE!

 

            This was by the far the best week trip we have taken apart from Spain, mostly because we were in France. And, as most people know by now, I love France with its history and culture, mostly culinary culture. The first city/town we went to was Beaune and it was incredible. As a little city located in Burgundy, the wine was incredible. The towns cobblestone streets and old buildings added a character to the atmosphere that made it a lot nicer and interesting. Jackson and I actually ended up going to a wine store to buy some wine considering we were in what most would consider, the greatest wine province in the world, which after trying the wine, I can say that I agree. The bottle was only 20 euro and the man who helped us was amazing. So amazing in fact, that we had to go back with Peri, Erin, Kass, and Mason. Ended the night with watching a romcom and I can confidently say that I hate them. Or I at least hated the one that we watched. Complete garbage in my opinion.

              After Beaune, we headed to Colmar and it was beautiful as well. However, I didn’t like it as much as Beaune although it was similar. This is most likely due to the fact that we didn’t spend a lot of time there and therefore we didn’t get to see a lot or explore as much as I would’ve liked. After seeing some of the art, we took the bus to Strasbourg. Literally stepped off the bus and stepped into the train station, so we didn’t get to see anything which sucked a little since I know that there is a very big German-French culture clash going on there. Oh well, more to see for the next time I stop by.

              When we arrived in Paris, I was happy like most of the time, because how could you not be happy stepping into Paris. Emiliano and I agreed that our room smelled like absolute ass and had to open the windows, hoping that somehow the smell would leave or that somehow a miracle would occur and the horrid stench would turn into the smell of a pile of roses or McDonalds McNuggies. Since Peri had her interview which sounded phenomenal, we waited till she was done to go out and eat. Erin found a place that had gluten free options and we started our walk to the restaurant. Once we were there, I was sent in as the sacrificial lamb and got a table for the 7 of us which is honestly is tough to do in small restaurants. Luckily, they had space for us and we got to sit down and eat. Ended up getting some wine after the dinner and headed back to the hotel where I was told to give romcoms another opportunity. This new one was interesting and not as bad. It definitely had some cringy moments but overall it was a good movie. The next morning was pretty good and we got to visit the louvre. Something that I enjoyed but felt rushed in doing. Not enough time to see everything but I didn’t mind since I had the opportunity to see it before. After the louvre, we had some time to explore Paris and I went to eat with Celeste and Victoria to a taco place of all places. However, on the way over I saw a cooking store and I took a picture to return later. We got to the restaurant and had some good tacos and conversation. On the way back, it started to rain a little but nothing crazy. When we got back to the store I was amazed by how amazing and cheap the place was. It wasn’t like the things were bad quality, but they were just a lot cheaper than I expected considering everything was French-made. I ended up buying 2 carbon-steel pans and a Sabatier knife which will be interesting to move back home. Best store I’ve ever been to and someplace I hope to revisit someday. Once we finished that, we made our way back to the group and had some crepes. Nothing too special since some of them were burned but definitely fun to eat and taste. Ended the night with wine and beer and the sparkling Eiffel tower. Can’t complain about such a sight can you? Next day was normal and we got to go Montmarte and the infamous Sacre Coeur. As always, it was beautiful and I had a blast eating a typical salad lunch which I did not think I would ever enjoy. However, this one was insane, and I would order it again for sure. Next stop Lyon!

              We got on the train to Lyon and it was a pretty good ride over. Once we got to Lyon, the group split up and Jackson and I headed to the hotel where we had to choose Five Guys for dinner due to the time. Once we woke up the next morning, we headed up immediately to Old Lyon to see the Cathedrals, markets, and bouchons. We got beautiful weather and had a blast just walking among the locals and city. After seeing everything, we decided to sit down and enjoy a traditional Lyonnais lunch. Can’t say I’ve had a better lunch in all of Europe because it was freaking amazing. The man who worked there ended up talking with us and our lunch conversation went on for 2-3 hours, something amazing as I got to meet someone new and enjoy the culture. We also got to see the girls which was fun as they stopped by to say hi before some of them went to the cathedrals and others went to see Lyon and then head home for a movie. Once we finished eating and the girls got back, it started to pour with everything getting soaked including the procession of the local carnival which was fun. At the same time we noticed that Vic was missing her phone and long story short, we ended up at the police station filing a report with the police for a stolen phone. After waiting for a long time, Jackson, Kass, and Vic headed out to find a place to eat while I filed the report. One of the weirdest experiences ever since the cop did not speak English but understood it, the exact thing with me but in French. The entire report was done with her speaking in French and me responding in English and so on. Very fun and interesting. We found a Brazilian place and sat down to eat. It was freaking phenomenal, and we ended the night like that.

              After Lyon, Jackson, Vic and I headed to Annecy where we found a local market and walked around taking pictures and exploring the city, cathedral and castle. Like always, it started to rain and it sucked because the pics were a bit wick but hey, if it ain’t raining then it ain’t fun said no one in the entire existence of man. We decided to stick out the rain in a pub and eat there until our 6:30 fondue appointment. Once we got to the fondue place, Jackson and Vic noticed the smell of the cheese which was hilarious since I liked it and it meant that the fondue was about to hit hard. They bring it out and Jackson literally devoured it in its entirety. Vic and I took some more time to eat it but damn, that shit was great. Ended up trying to plan the easter break trip and came to two conclusions. We either go to Morocco or go to Munich.

              Went to Geneva next for some 5 hours and I ended up leaving with a watch, some expensive chocolate, and two Swiss-army knives. All I can say about Geneva is that its beauty matched its expensive nature. For example, for a box of chocolates which in all fairness are considered the best chocolates in Switzerland, the price was 26 Swiss Francs. I was shocked but also found that it is worth it considering that I will most likely not return to Geneva for a while so why not indulge in the stupidity of expensive chocolate. After all that, we went to go buy my watch which I had been waiting for about a year. It was a very quick purchase as I knew exactly what I wanted and therefore there was no need to argue about anything. We then attempted to find Jacksons watch and could not find the one he wanted, so we decided to check Cologne when we got back. Hopefully, they have it and we can purchase his watch there. The train ride was pleasant, and we continue on to the next weekend. See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment