Friday, March 4, 2016

Surgeries and Amesterdam

Last Wednesday was one of my favorite group activities of the trip so far. We got to watch actual surgeries being performed on actual people! And we got to wear scrubs, which is always fun. The first room I was assigned to was a coronary bypass and aortic valve replacement combo, and I got through them getting the bypass vein from the leg fine, but once the surgeon (who was very nice and talkative) started cauterizing the fat while opening the chest cavity, I had to step out for a while. I was actually pretty disappointed in myself and was questioning everything I wanted to do with my life for about 30 minutes, but then I went back in (different room, same procedure) and everything was fine and I was no longer having an existential crisis. The whole thing was really interesting, especially the valve replacement, and the surgeons were really cool about answering questions and explaining what was going on.

Last weekend I continued my traveling adventures with a visit to Amsterdam. The first thing I did when we got there was run face first into a pole, but everything went up from there. We found a zip line (made for children, but whatever), toured the Heineken Experience, explored the canals via paddle boat and almost got run over by bigger boats (they do not care if you get out of the way or not, they just GO) and then went on a cruise around the city where they served us pizza and ice cream. It was all around an AmsterDAM good day. On Sunday we walked about 500 miles to an ice skating rink and I got the most exercise I've had probably in months. The rink was a 400 meter track and we got to see some of the more quiet areas of Amsterdam along with a huge park and, which was pretty cool. I also had a really good sandwich. After we walked the 510 miles back to the city, we had dinner and strolled along downtown until it was time to catch our train home. All in all it was a very good time. I am enjoying this Europe thing very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment