Tuesday, March 29, 2016

20 francs for a pot of melted cheese?!?!

Easter in Zurich

The week after Spring Break seemed to fly by. There were only four work days because that coming Sunday was Easter.

Easter break was spent in one of the most beautiful places I’ve visited. A group of us spent the 4 days in Zurich, Switzerland exploring the city, hiking the Alps, and eating lots of chocolate and cheese.

Per usual, the trip started off a little rough for me. Our flight to Zurich was early in the morning, so in order to have enough time to get to the airport and go through security, I needed to get on a bus at 4 am. I set multiple alarms for around 3:30, but being the deep sleeper I am, I slept through all of them… Luckily my group contacted my roommate Jordan who woke me up at 4:48. The next bus came at 5 am, so the jolt of adrenaline allowed me to get ready in under 10 minutes. I took the bus to hauptbanhof only to see that there wasn’t another bus to the airport for another hour…. Then I ran to a cab, and told the driver “Flughafen, bitte!” Somehow, I made it to the airport, got through security, and even had enough time to grab a quick breakfast!

The weather wasn’t the greatest for our first day there. It was pretty cold and rainy, but that didn’t stop us. We walked around the city, took some pictures, and then decided to go up to the peak of Zurich, Uetilberg. The hike was fun, although we couldn’t see much of the view at the top because we were blanketed by fog.


The next day, we had fantastic weather! We decided to start our day at the Rhine Falls. I really enjoyed the Rhine Falls; it was so beautiful and peaceful watch and hear the water flow. There were even rainbows spanning the water. Rahil and I snuck past an entry turnstile and walked all the way down to the bottom of the falls. We were so close to the water; it was great. Later that day we took a boat tour of Lake Zurich. The view of the Alps behind the water was something I surely won’t forget. The day was clear and sunny…perfect weather to take in the view. After the boat tour, some of us rented a paddle boat and pedaled around the lake while jamming to all sorts of songs. Something crazy also happened that day. While walking to the lake, I saw a girl with a DZ on her leggings. I went up to go tell her hi and that I was a DZ too, and then I realized it was one of my sisters from A&M! I knew she was studying abroad in France this semester, but I had no idea she would be in Zurich that same weekend…small world. That evening, we tried Swiss famous cheese fondue, and it was delicious. 


Sunday was a lazy day for many of us. The weather was overcast and a little grey, and most things were closed because it was Easter. I started the day studying a little for my 211 quiz but then had an itch to go out and about. Blake and I took this day as an opportunity to walk through the old and new town. We did a little more exploring and then bough 40 francs worth of Swiss chocolate…and then proceeded to eat all of it. And that’s about all I did Sunday.

Luckily, we had great weather again for our last day in Switzerland. We decided to travel to some mountains about an hour outside of Zurich because Koi had heard of a place to ride luges. Riding the luge down the mountain was definitely one of the most fun things I’ve done in Europe so far. We all rode the luge twice, and then we decided to take the lift up to the top of the mountain and hike down…best idea. The view from the top of the mountain was exactly what I imagined the Swiss Alps to be and more. It was so pristine. There aren’t many words to describe the beauty of it, so I’ll just leave it at that. Then we went back to Zurich and had our last meal. Switzerland is notoriously expensive, so we had been trying to find the best deals on food. Our hotel offered a 10 franc burger special and an 11 franc breakfast, both of which we ate many times. But on our last day, we splurged on food. I got a 38 franc meal with lamb chops, ratatouille, and potato gratin. It was probably one of the best meals I’ve had since coming to Germany.




After dinner it was time to go back to Bonn and then back to school the next day. This coming weekend is the international Big Event. I’m looking forward to staying in Bonn this weekend. I know my wallet is too.
Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment