Tuesday, March 1, 2016

AmsterDANG

This past weekend Shawn, Elaine, Rahil, Reagan, Sarah and I all went to Amsterdam and it was a great weekend, despite two "situations" with our hostel and trains. When we first got there we found out Shawn was possibly charged twice for the same room, and that took a while to figure out. But after having a delicious brunch, we figured out the situation and continued on with our day.

To take advantage of the beautiful canals, we rented some paddle-boats and cruised around the canals of the city! However, we really didn't know what the heck we were doing and got hit by a couple of tourist boats while everyone in the city was watching... what an experience ( a hilarious one at that ). After wards, we went to the Heineken Brewery and went through their museum and enjoyed a couple of beers on the rooftop of the brewery with an amazing view of the city. It was sunny and beautiful all weekend which allowed for a great view!

After this we all went on a cruise throughout the canals and had dinner as well! A beautiful city at night.

The next day we split into 3 and 3, my group being Reagan, Sarah and I. We went to the famous Van Gogh museum, which has the largest Van Gogh collection in the world, and was fascinating to see his art. Art is slowly growing on me, I'm learning to appreciate the little details in art more and more, and I enjoy looking at art that strikes a powerful emotion in me, as well as appreciating the fact a painting can strike such an emotion. After this we walked around a beautiful park next to the museum, met back up, and all ate dinner together. The restaurant we ate at served burgers ( haven't had burgers since I've been here ), and then we hopped on our train!

This is where it gets weird. We got on the right train, it was a rather long one, but not the right cab. So we spent an hour trying to figure out which cab to get on, and after finding the right one we finally settled in and relaxed. Everything was great until I woke up around 1, and heard we were getting dropped off in Beuel rather than Bonn. We were supposed to arrive in Bonn around 11:50. So not only was the train late, but it dropped us off in a random city without warning. So 1:30 in the morning without a way home, that was fun. We had to grab a taxi and finally made it home around 2.

This weekend was great and it has been so fun to travel with everyone, but I am beginning to worry that I am not fully enjoying this whole experience as much as I should. This may be a stupid worry but it's bumming me a little. I had a dream last night about Pine Cove and it is making me miss that a ton; the best time of my life I would say. My time with the Lord hasn't been very frequent so I wish to change this. But also I am beginning to miss my family, but not be homesick if that makes sense. Hopefully these next few days I can take some time to really reflect on this trip and have fruitful rest. 

Today we completed booking our spring break and Easter trips which is super exciting! Spring Break will be London/Cork, and Easter will be Rome! So Ireland for St. Patty's Day, and Rome on Easter, so cool! 

This weekend I plan to go with Kyle to Munich/Dachau which will be a great experience. I look forward to updating yall about that trip soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment