Thursday, March 10, 2016

Grab your Italian leather, lads and mademoiselles. The British are coming!

That may be the most confusing title ever, but it pretty accurately describes my outlook on the next HALF of the trip!  This week was certainly a trip planning week and I can wholeheartedly and emptywalletedly say that I believe my days of booking have come to a successful close.  Let's give the next two months in a nutshell, shall we?

(1) Coming up next, ohhh how soon is it.... TODAY, ten of us head out at 2:44pm to embark on our spring break journey down Italy: Milan to Florence to Rome to Naples/ Sorrento/ Capri/ Amalfi/ whatever combination of those works best.

(2) Following spring break, after four days of three classes each, we essentially head into our next vacation!  I am quite excited for my Easter plans.  With a good deal of searching for flights and an open mindset, I found a cheap roundtrip flight to Nottingham, England.  Whenever I am curious about a city, I first look at images and then find it on Google Maps if I do not already know its location.  Nottingham's appeal increased significantly once I also searched the nearby Peak District National Park.  Holy cow, the images of this national park are stunning.  I could spend my entire Easter hiking there!  I am quite eager to see it and get away from the noise and chaos.

(3) Following weekend: Big Event.  Following following weekend: Bonn Marathon.  Then, PARIS.  I have a strong feeling Paris will be even better than Vienna and Vienna has been one of my favorite locations, if not my most favorite location, so far.  So the anticipation for Paris is definitely present!

(4) ...soooo think about this.  Forty-eight euros for a flight from Paris to Dublin, then a thirty euro flight from Dublin to Duesseldorf.  How can you pass up a trip for that price if there's a way you could make it happen?!  I have certainly struggled recently in weighing the worth of a trip with its cost.  When asking my mom whether I should go to Dublin, guess what she said... "YOLO."  My mom said yolo - coming from one of the most financially responsible and savvy people I know.  What is happening in this world?!  Whatever it is, I'm not complaining now :)  And I will try my hardest not to complain when I am working to save up money again either lol.  I have been applying for internships for a while.  A little more of that and a lot of scholarship applications and maybe I'll be set.  After Dublin, I will have one weekend of studying for finals and one of staying in Bonn to pack and save money.  And then back to the US.  It's going to fly.  I just hope not too much.

So there it is!  Get some cheap(ish?) Italian leather on spring break, visit my homeland to stay among the Brits, enjoy experiencing every girl's dream of traveling to Paris, and then go to another one of my homelands to see Dublin and most likely take a tour bus across the country to visit several cities and the CLIFFS OF MOHER.

Recap since last weekend - Zurich!  My favorite aspect of Zurich was that it has a little of everything.  The Altstadt but also the new and sparkly side, a college campus yet countless old women walking about in their fur coats, the river, lake, and boats, and mountains coated with snow several feet deep even in March!  That is to be expected in a semi-skiing town like Zurich, but us Texan gals acted like six year olds on Christmas when we saw all that snow up on Uetliburg.  So much so that we actually played amidst the six year olds on the play ground in the snow!  Prime examples of mature adults to be certain.  :)  After exploring, returned to city level and hopped on the boat for a tour of the lake, complete with warm goulash soup and some of the most splendid views in the world.  How am I so blessed to come on this trip?  How could a world so extraordinary not be the masterpiece of a Designer?  Truly wunderbar.

Enough of traveling. (Who says that?!  ...people that have school to attend to?  Ja.) The primary components of this week were a simplistic German final on Wednesday and a presentation to enmodes representatives and our peers on Thursday.  I quite enjoy presenting - attempting to perfect my oratory skills and technical explanations - but often I lack the opportunities to present.  Thus, presenting to enmodes and seeing their satisfaction with our idea was a highlight for the academic week.  But, as for now, the academics are over and it's time to pack for ITALY, baby!  Tschüß.

No comments:

Post a Comment