Thursday, March 31, 2016

Amsterdam (Feb 22-28)

This past week, we split up into our German Class groups and shadowed German doctors at Universitätsklinikum Bonn, and it was awesome. I've only ever shadowed doctors who perform minimally invasive procedures, so watching surgeons cut up a person and try to repair them was very new/fascinating for me. The group of doctors I was shadowing were very serious at first, but as the day went on they opened up a bit and were more welcoming to my questions.  I think they thought I was already a medical student and were somewhat confused as to why I was asking some of my questions. But once that was sorted out, they were super chill and explained everything. Gunner joined me in my operating room for a while and we saw the surgeons perform a tracheotomy and look for some sort of metal plate near the spine and the pharynx. At least I think that’s what was going on (they really didn’t speak English very well). The operation was really cool! I saw the patient’s internal jugular vein as well as the very beginnings of the branch point for the internal and external carotid arteries. Four and half hours wasn’t enough time for the surgeons to finish their operation, so I had to leave with knowing if they ever fixed the patients problem (he was having fluid develop in some sort of pharyngeal pouch). Overall, I was super excited for this opportunity and so glad that this was a part of our program.

This past weekend Shawn, Elaine, Gunner, Reagan, Sarah and I all went to Amsterdam and it was a fantastic weekend. When we first got there we found out Shawn was charged twice for our hostel room, and that situation took a little while to get resolved.  Once resolved, we had an awesome brunch at neat looking café not to far from our place.

While walking around the city, we decided to rent some paddle-boats and explore around the canals of the city! For quite some time we could not figure out the steering mechanism and appropriately got smashed by another (much larger) boat. After wards, we went to the Heineken Brewery and went through their museum.  The tour was pretty cool. They showed us the percentage of the ingredients in their beer and the process behind how they make it, but the best part of the tour was the 3 beers we got to drink on the rooftop of the brewery with an amazing view of the city. After this we all went on a dinner cruise throughout the canals! With pizza and unlimited drinks, it would have been very hard to not have a great time!


The next day we split up since some of us wanted to ice skate, while others wanted to see the Van Gogh museum…I definitely went ice-skating. We went to this 400 meter ice track and skated next to some people who were going HAM. They were seriously flying past us. After this we made a 1.5 hour walk to meet back up with the others in our group, and all ate dinner together. After dinner we got on our train. After trying to figure out which cab we were supposed to be in, we settled in for the long ride and woke up to the train chilling in Cologne. It was just sitting in Cologne for 2 hours! After, we started moving again, the conductor decided to skip Bonn HBF in order to save time. So we got off in Beuel and took a cab home. I ended up getting home around 2 in the morning (we were supposed to arrive at 11:30). Despite the two instances (the hostel and the train) I had a blast in Amsterdam! Good times with good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment