Thursday, March 3, 2016

#2 (technically).

Thursday March 3, 2016

What will this day be like, I wonder? What will my future be, I wonder?
It’s not so difficult to answer that question now. The future is a mixed bag. I’ve been happy, I’ve been sad. I’m delighted to be out of Texas, wishing I could be in Scotland. 

The nightmare of having to come home every night to canned soups & microwave meals is finally over. I look at the avocado in the fridge & feel a peculiar sort of joy. Who knew a simple avocado could symbolize a return to sanity? On the other hand, I spent last night rummaging through the cupboards in search of anything, anything, that could be used to roast tomatoes. No roasting tin, no baking sheet, no tin foil. Oh my. Had the genius idea of instead making carrot & tomato soup only to find that too would be impossible (well, frustrating) with the current kitchen supplies. Decided to skip the football match (well to use this as an excuse to skip it) & chart a course of action. This will be harder than I thought.

Ah well, at least I can make sandwiches. (Always look on the bright side of life… )

I guess it’s time for that retrospective blog. Aachen is a haze now, but I can still see the sharpness of the mosaic tiles in the Cathedral. I scarcely think I’ve seen anything as beautiful since. It’s odd to think of Napoleon walking through those same doors, & quite amusing to think of him balking at the plain throne of Charlemagne. He deserved it, at least a little. Honestly, it made me think Charlemagne was probably a pretty cool guy to have constructed a throne so modest & unassuming. A man of the people, maybe?

I maintain the best bagels in Germany are those found in the simple café, ‘Bagels & Beans’. From the name it doesn’t sound too appetizing, I know, but the ‘beans’ refers to the coffee, I promise. And what’s more, they give you little bowls of chocolate covered coffee beans. So what more could you want? Not going to lie, I’m thinking of opening a branch in Texas.

Oh… & school! I keep forgetting. So school is, well, going on. It doesn’t feel so different from a regular semester, if I’m honest. The Enmodes project is intriguing though I feel pretty useless as a microbiology major. At least I’m learning a little something from it though!

Well this was rather uninspired. Hopefully my next blog will be more upbeat.
Salut.

Ashleigh Kozicz

No comments:

Post a Comment