Sunday, March 23, 2014

Fußball Week (Personal)

On the way back from the Bayer visit, a group of us stayed in Cologne to buy train tickets to Paris for Easter weekend. It worked out well and now we have our tickets good to go! We went back to Bonn and immediately went to old AIB to change for the soccer match. A couple people hadn’t brought soccer clothes and ended up playing in jeans and bare feet. I had been regretting signing up for a while, because I didn’t know anyone on my team and I was worried it would be too serious, but I was so glad I did it! I had such a good time playing and hanging out in the park on such a beautiful afternoon. Even though I didn’t know anyone on my team, we had a good time playing together and I got to smack talk my bioscience friends that I competed against. My team didn’t make it to the finals, but I had a great time cheering for the teams that did and playing music and dancing on the sidelines. Then we got to go back to old AIB for pizza and an award ceremony, which was tons of fun!
Friday evening we went to hear a string quartet. They were really good and the music was so beautiful! I really liked the selection of music. My favorite piece was the one by Beethoven, but I found the last piece to be really interesting. It was a more modern piece telling the composer’s feelings during World War II. The feelings were conveyed so well. The movements ended without a resolve, leaving the audience feeling very uncomfortable and on edge, like the war.
On Saturday we got to go to a real soccer match. We all bought red and white soccer scarves on the way in and looked super snazzy. The atmosphere in the crowd was great! Everyone was yelling chants and there was so much confetti and streamers on the home side of the field. It was a really great experience.

On Sunday I went on the optional hike. I knew we were going to climb Dragonfels, which I had already done with my host family. It’s a pretty difficult hike and I woke up feeling sick, but I really wanted to go and see the view because it had been cloudy when I had gone before. We had an intense hike to the top of the mountain and there was a beautiful view. To my surprise, instead of going all the way back down we started taking another path. I joked to someone that we were hiking to a palace that we could see way off in the distance. A few hours later, after climbing up and down about 3 more mountains, we had in fact hiked all the way to the palace. At this point our guide assured me we were over half way there. Despite feeling even more sick at this point than when I woke up, I was glad I went on the hike because it was so beautiful, and every turn had something new to see. Towards the end of the hike, we arrived at a monastery, where we ate a delicious and well deserved dinner (most of us got schnitzel!). The monastery was beautiful and the meal was a great reward for that long and strenuous hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment