Monday, March 24, 2014

Fun Weekend!



Lots of fun stuff happened this week, particularly this weekend! Saturday I finally got to go see a European soccer game! My goal was to see at least one game in person this semester so I’m glad AIB made it an optional event for us. A group of us went to go see F.C. Köln play Aalen in Cologne and it was a ton of fun. My host parents had told me before the game that the Cologne fans were very loyal and loud and they were definitely right! The stadium was packed (except for the visitors section) and the entire stadium was very energetic for the entire game. I loved hearing the fans chant together to cheer on their team and see how crazy some of the fans behind one of the goals were when the opposing team’s keeper was there. I have been to several games back in the states but that cannot compare to what the atmosphere was like at this game.  Unfortunately, the game ended in a tie even though F.C. Köln dominated most of the game. No matter what the score was, I really enjoyed getting to watch some live Fuβball with friends!
Sunday I got to go hiking, another thing I’ve been meaning to do since arriving in Germany because there are actually mountains here. Some of us went to the Seven Mountains (yes, we hiked all seven mountains) which included the Drachenfels. The views were breathtaking; a bunch of us kept commenting on how some of the scenes looked like they were paintings since they were so pretty! We could see all of Bonn and even the Cologne Cathedral from the top of Drachenfels which was cool. The hike itself was enjoyable and quite the workout. To top off a great hike, we got to eat delicious schnitzel at Heisterback Monastery at the end of the hike. As you can see, this weekend was a great one!
View from the top of Drachenfels

No comments:

Post a Comment