Tuesday, March 4, 2014

ALAAF!!

Wow, I had no clue how utterly exhausting Karneval could be. I mean, normally I get drained in crowds, but I was determined to power through so I could experience all of Karneval. There wasn't really anything that was program led this weekend with the only thing coming close was the parade we went to on Thursday with all the students from AIB. We made our way across the Rhein to where the parade was going to be held. Once we reached the parade area, it was a huge compilation of costumes and decorations along both sides of the street from one end to the other. When the parade started, the air was filled with cries of "alaaf!" (A greeting) and "karmella!" (Give me candy!) and we were rewarded for our enthusiasm with all sorts of candies. There were quite a few bands that made their way down the street, and every time they came down we started dancing to the music, just happy to have this experience. This was really a once in a lifetime opportunity that could only happen in Bonn. Before we left AIB, our professor bought all the guys ties and all the girls scissors so we could take part in all the traditions of women's karneval day. The parade was a ton of fun and after it was done, we made our way back to AIB to eat candy and regroup before going out again on our own.

The rest of the weekend was entirely up to us to find our own fun. My favorite out of Karneval was definitely the parade in Bad Godesberg with my host family. At the parade place, I didn't know anyone or the language they were speaking, so I just hung around with Marie until the parade actually started. Annette kept saying hello to nearly everyone that we passed, which was pretty cool to watch, and soon we had a large group at our little corner of the street. A few people talked to me (in English since Ich spreche kein Deutsch) and we had a great time enjoying all the fun things about Karneval. The parade started and soon the streets were filled with cries of "Alaaf!" and "Karmella!!" as we all shouted at the floats and people streaming by. We even got to see my host sister Sophie as she walked by with a bag of candy. I don't know how I'm going to go back to normal old Mardi Gras when I get back to the States after Karneval, all we really did was the King's Cake among my friends. Which reminds me, I got the king last year and I'm supposed to bring a cake to the party I'm supposed to host this year because of it. Oh well, due to being across an entire ocean, I regret to say I will be unable to fulfill my duties. But hey, I'm here enjoying Karneval, so I'm happy.


And that's it for Karneval weekend! It was a ton of fun while it lasted, but I'm utterly exhausted from the weekend. I'm looking forward to next week on the cruise, which will allow me to relax a little bit.
Erin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment