Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Texas Girl on a Karneval Weekend Roadtrip

Alaaf! 
Branden and I at Karneval

Monastery in Miltenburg
It was just Karneval around this part of Germany and I dressed up as a Texas Cowgirl, how could I not?!? I enjoyed Thursday the most, because we got to go to Beuel, which is where my host family lives, for Women’s Karneval! During Women’s Karneval, the women of the area take over and are allowed to cut the neck ties of men and give them kisses as a recompense for their dismantled ties. It was really fun to go to the parade with my friends and cut ties! I love Halloween and getting dressed up, so it was super fun to get to do it as an adult and have it be socially acceptable. The parade was fun and we got a ton of Kamelle (Candy) from the parade floats! After the parade we stayed in Bonn and went to some of the bars in the Altstadt (old town) area. It was kind of strange to go to a bar at one o’clock in the afternoon, but we still had a really fun time. It was even more fun than Halloween, because you were able to see the costumes that everyone had on. I enjoyed people watching and even made a German friend at Billa Bonn who talked to me about his study abroad in Scotland. I enjoyed getting to hang out with everyone after such a stressful week of tests. On Friday morning, I boarded a van with 6 other friends and we drove to Stuttgart to see the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz museums. I’m not really that into cars, but the museums were really nice and there were a few cars I could have happily driven home!! That night we went to Munich and met with my friend Lea and had dinner. It was amazing to see her after 3 years!! She came to my high school as an exchange student when I was a senior and has come back a few summers to see me and my other friends. It has been such a long time, but we talked like it was just yesterday that we saw each other. I’m so glad that I had the chance to see her and I’m excited to see her again in April for Easter! The next day we walked around the old part of Munich and saw the University where Lea and her roommate Karin go to school. The next day, Sunday, we went to visit Branden’s family in Miltenburg and went up to see the Monastery and ate at the oldest Brauhaus in Germany. We then drove home to Bonn! On Monday, Rosenmontag, Branden and I went to Cologne for the Parade. We got there a little too early and stood in the cold for around 3 hours until the parade finally started. After about 30 minutes of parade, we came back to Bonn and watched the parade in Bonn for a little bit.
Miltenburg

Mercedes Benz Museum
Lea and I in the English Garden
After a long week of tests (five tests in a week) it was exhausting to do Karneval and the roadtrip in a week, but I definitely enjoyed my time with friends after the tests this weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment