Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Week 9 - London and Getting Sent Home

This week started out great. My mom and I took a train into London on Monday afternoon. The weather in London was surprisingly beautiful, but it didn't stay that way for long. The first night there, my mom and I chose to rest. The next day, we bought tour bus tickets that took us all over the city. We went to Buckingham Palace the first day, as well as Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey was beautiful, but we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the church. So many people are buried there, including Isaac Newton and Mary Queen of Scotts. The next day, we took a walking tour that included seeing the changing of the guard and the switching of the Calvary guards. We also visited the Tower of London, which apparently is a huge castle and  not just a tower. There, we saw the execution site of Anne Boelyn and Catherine Howard, as well as the crown jewels and some other armory from England's history. On Thursday morning, I found out that we were all getting sent home because of the Corona virus. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty upset at the news. I was looking forward to Paris and some of the other trips that were planned, but I know the government is calling us home for a reason. I tried to not be too upset, and my mom and I went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour. Of course, being Harry Potter fans, my mother and I were excited to go through all of the actual sets from the movie and see all the costumes and props. On Friday, we went to the British Museum. It was fun to walk through and see all of the artifacts from Egypt and Ancient Greece/Rome. I flew into Bonn on Saturday for my last weekend with my host family, and was not ready to say goodbye. I hope they all stay safe during this crazy pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment