Monday, March 18, 2013

Witty Title About Spring Break

This years spring break was without a doubt one of the most memorable spring breaks I have ever had. Not only was it because of the places that I went, but also the people I went with and the characters that I meet along the way.


From the very beginning I could tell it was going to be a very unique experience, we all stayed up till around 2 a.m. Saturday morning and then made our way to Bonn central station to catch the earliest train possible to Dusseldorf. Everything was going great minus all of us being rather tired until we got to the main airport in Dusseldorf and couldn't seem to find our flight anywhere. Turns out we went to the wrong airport and we had to make a mad dash to a taxi in order to get to the other airport 45 minutes across town. After participating in this mini amazing race we rushed ourselves through security and onto the plane with literally only minutes to spare, only to find that Ryanair is the worst airline known to mankind. Sounds like a great start to our trip right? Well despite everything being so chaotic we finally got to Rome and breathed a sigh of relief as the beautiful Italian sun shone down on us. And since we were in Rome first things first we got Italian pasta for lunch

Rome was by far the most interesting city I have had the chance to visit. With all its rich history and ruins scattered around the city it felt like you could walk down the street and travel back into empirical Rome. Also the night life was a wild a crazy thing to experience after we had done all the mature cultural things in the day, like visiting the Colosseum and the Pantheon. During one of these nights after some dinner wine I thought it would be a really cool idea to get my palm read by one of the many fortune tellers on the side of the road. The lady told me that I would have a long life, 2 major careers in life, 2 bad relationships until my true love came around and then it would last for life, and that we would have 2 kids together. It seems that I really like the number 2 in my life. Of course being a man of science I decided to test the gypsy woman's predictions by going to a second palm reader and seeing if I'd get the same result. Surprisingly the man said almost the exact same thing that the first lady told me with a few slight changes. He told me that I was good at sports and go on to play the piano in the future, also he insisted that I would have 3 kids and not 2. So naturally after spending 20 euros total on this experiment I felt inclined to pass on my knowledge and read everyone'd hands at the bar later that night. I'm sorry to say that some of my friends had grimmer futures than I and I broke the news as gently as I could to them.


One thing that was by far the coolest was the fact that we were in Rome during Sede vecante (Time of the empty Throne). Our last full day of being in Rome was when the conclave meet and cast the first vote to decide on who was to be the leader of the entire worlds Catholics. It was even more exciting due to the fact that at the Colosseum while we were taking a picture with our Aggie flag we were recognized by the local Houston news team who happened to be there at the same time. So during the day of the first vote we got interviewed by KPRC local Houston news and got airtime back home. So even though we only got to see black smoke and missed out on the election of the Pope it was still an awesome experience to be apart of.

No comments:

Post a Comment