Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring Break Mixup

I planned my spring break with two other friends from A&M who happen to be studying abroad as well. Since their spring break isn't for a couple more weeks, I figured I'd come down and visit them in Spain where they are studying.  After copying down their address, I booked my round trip ticket to Barcelona.  By the time spring break rolled around I could not wait to leave the harsh German winter for the warm greetings of coastal Spain.  When I arrived in the Barcelona airport, I received a call from my friend, Matt, whom I had planned on meeting in the airport.  We decided to meet outside terminal one after I reacquired my luggage.  After waiting a solid half hour for my luggage to make its way from the plane to the claim, I made it to the terminal one greeting area.  For three hours, me and Matt traded whereabouts in lame attempts to locate one another.  We tried meeting at different terminals, various restaurants, and eventually the airport train station.  We could not find each other anywhere.  Eventually my phone ran out of minutes and his phone died, so I was on my own.  Address in hand, I proceeded to the train station window where I flashed the man behind the counter an inquiring look and passed him the address I was trying to get to as to avoid attempts at verbal communication.  He got the message.  After glancing at the paper for merely a second, the man looked up at me, smirked, and told me the address is in Madrid.  It finally hit me.  I don't know what I was thinking when I booked the flight, but I had absent mindedly planned a trip to the wrong city in Spain...  Not one of my finer moments.  To compensate for my inability to plan a vacation, I had to take a train from the Barcelona airport to the Barcelona main train station and from there get a bullet train to Madrid.  It wasn't the best start to spring break '13. I eventually made it to Madrid and contacted Matt using a payphone. Regardless of the self-induced inconveniences, all was well in the end and I had an awesome time checking out the sites and closely examining the night life.  Moral of the story, don't fly to the wrong city.

No comments:

Post a Comment