Monday, March 4, 2013

Running at sub-freezing

Just a little background for anybody new, I'm in the Corps, so I need to keep up a high level of fitness. Taking a semester off is definitely not a possibility. Also I'm used to waking up early to exercise and by now it feels weird to work out during the day. So I get to work out in Bonn at 5 in the morning when its below freezing. And its not that bad. Actually working out in the cold is both cool and good for pacing. Normally when you work out in Texas, no matter what you're drenched in sweat at the end. After all, you start to sweat just walking to class every day. But in Germany it's cold enough so even though you're working hard you don't sweat nearly as much, making the experience more enjoyable. At the same time if you are cold, at least the core of your body and the muscles you're working, you need to work harder! This is all wearing a pair of exercise pants, a long sleeved underarmor shirt, and a light reflective underarmor jacket. Gloves are optional, though you kinda want them for pushups. I don't have special cold shoes either, I'm using the same running shoes I use in Texas. I can't comment yet on the rainy season, but I've ran in the snow and it was awesome.

So if you're sitting at home not working out cause it's too cold, suck it up and do it, because working out it the cold is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment