Friday, March 1, 2013

Lots to do this week!

I am glad it is finally Friday. Not because it's my favorite day of the week but because this week was extremely busy and now it's over. The one thing I hated the most was having to wake up at 7am every morning. Due to 8:45am being the only available time to have my neuroanatomy class, I had to wake up early in order to eat breakfast, get ready, and take the right bus and tram to the AIB building. To make things worse, I didn't go to bed earlier than 2am this week. After neuroanatomy, I had to stay at the AIB computer lab even if I did not have class to have my TA hours. The TA hours were important this week because my classmates had their physiology test on Thursday. Monday, I prepared a TA review PowerPoint while answering questions about the material. Tuesday, I had the TA review. Wednesday, I stayed at the AIB until 7:30pm answering physiology questions. Not only that, but I also had to stay in order to assist with physiology lab, which was pretty easy this week. The only thing that worried me was that I had to set it up since the other TA had class before lab. It is my first time working with all this technology (I have used them as a student, but there was always someone there telling me what to do), so I was afraid to mess it up. Thursday, I tried my best to stay in the AIB lab all morning before my classes in order to be available to questions. I have to admit being a TA is pretty challenging. I know my material, but explaining it in a way that everyone can understand is the hard part. I literally explained the same process probably like in three different forms in order to make sure they had a complete understanding of physiology. Also, physiology is full of some things in which the right answer depends on how you see it. In other words, there really isn't an exact right answer. Having to explain my way of thinking can get hard when you are explaining to someone with a different thought. Regardless of all the time spent in office hours and having reviews, I was happy to see everyone understood what was going on. I have no doubt the exam grades will be good. On Tuesday, I had to stay until 9pm at the AIB to be there for a classmate who is taking an online class back at A&M. Since she needs a staff member to be there incase something happens, Dr. Wasser asked me if I could stay Tuesday. It seems I will be doing the same thing every Tuesday, something that does not bother me at all because I can work there at the same time I keep my classmate company. If I go back home early, most probably I will get distracted with my host brothers. This whole week, I would go back home so late that my host family had already eaten dinner. Waiting on the kitchen table was always a plate with food for me. This made me feel a little bad becasue I am starting to enjoy eating with my family. At the same time, it made me feel good because this showed how much my host family appreciates me. After dinner, typically like around 10:30pm, I had to start my homework. This week, I had to read two articles and write a summary with my thoughts on them for neuroanatomy. I also had 15 questions as homework for neuroanatomy. On top of that, I had to grade papers and finish any TA review presentations I did not finish at the AIB and answer emails with physiology questions. Now, I will take a nap. I still cannot understand how I did not miss my tram stop at the central station. As soon as I would get on to go to the AIB or to go back home, I would completely knock out. It is kind of scary to think I could have missed my stop, but thankfully, I did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment