Saturday, February 27, 2016

[Recap] Karneval, pt.2

After a quiet Sunday with the host family, we got ready for the main Karneval event, Rosenmontag. Sadly, I no longer had access to my sombrero or the face paint needed to once again visit the glory of my moostache upon the world. Instead, we rooted through about 25 years' worth of various and myriad costumes the family had hung onto over the years. In the end, we settled on just changing to the American variant, from vaquero to a proper Texan cowboy with vest and hat.

Then, I went and saw another parade, this time with host-daughter Svenja and Kelsey, a family friend who's here to learn German and get into nursing school. We cheered and yelled for candy ('Kamella!' Apparently it's an old word for 'caramel') and generally had a great time. I also got to try out Mettbrotchen. The name roughly translates to 'porkbread', and it's almost exactly what you'd imagine: Raw, ground pork and onions on a bread roll. I wasn't a huge fan of the whole 'raw meat' thing, but once I got past that and actually ate it, it was pretty tasty. Not fantastic. You won't hear me saying, 'Man, I could really go for some Mettbrotchen right now.' But it was pretty good.

After all the starry-eyed wonder of Karneval wore off late Monday night, I went to class like normal the next day. And the classes were, indeed, very normal. Physiology and History of Medicine were interesting. Circuits and Signals mad me feel like I'd been smashing my own head with a brick for an hour and a half. Diff Eq had finally begun to 'click' and for a moment I felt like I was seeing the Matrix. Then we moved to the next part of the chapter and that was that.

The big focus of the week was anticipation for our first major excursion: Vienna. We were all really excited, and a good chunk of our midday downtime we probably should've spent studying was instead spent figuring out what we were going to do once we got there.

THE BEST 2 MINUTES 14 SECONDS OF YOUR LIFE, PROTO-DOME

No comments:

Post a Comment