Sunday, February 14, 2016

Karneval Weekend

Last weekend was the culmination of Germany's "fifth season"...
On Thursday, our program went to Beuel to kick off the Karneval celebration. Thursday is the women’s day, and it was started in Beuel. With everyone in costumes, we walked across the Rhine into Beuel. It was extremely cold and rainy, but the atmosphere was so lively and fun that it made up for the fact that I couldn’t feel my fingers. I tried “mettbrotchen,” which is basically raw pork on bread. I liked the taste, but after a while, the texture got a little funky. I didn’t get sick though! We all bought beer, screamed for Kamelle, yelled “Alaaf,” cut ties, kissed cheeks, and nearly froze to death. It was a blast.
On Friday, six of us went to a Karneval party in Bad Godesberg. Shawn and Gunnar’s host brother, Chico aka DJ Brokid, was working it. We had a little trouble getting into the party initially. The line was absurdly long and there were policemen everywhere trying to contain the masses. After we made it past security, we had to show our tickets and ID. One of us didn’t have her ID, and the bouncer would not let her in….until Chico arrived. “It’s cool, they’re with me.” It was total VIP treatment. The party inside was incredible. We danced to our hearts' content.
On Monday, I met a long-time friend in Cologne. We walked around the Rose Monday parade looking at all the extravagant floats, trying to catch Kamelle (emphasis on the trying), and catching up.

Overall, it was a pretty successful Karneval in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment