Saturday, February 20, 2016

Jay 2/20

It's the day after we've come back from Vienna. I'm incredibly tired, but I still want to see more. There were so many sights that we only just passed by. One of which was the St. Michael cathedral that held the catacombs we visited the first day. The part that I'm upset about is that we only really got to explore the catacombs of the cathedral. I am always fascinated by the sculptures and the artwork actually within churches. However, the lent sheet was up, and therefore most of the sculptures and artwork was covered up. Lauren and I got to have a sneak peak of what was behind, and the view was truly awesome with incredible amount to detail of sculptures from the walls reaching up towards the heavens.
On the last day of the Vienna trip we had the opportunity to see the Narrenturm. To my surprise, the place was full of examples for various kinds of diseases. The models in this museum were used by doctors in the 19th-20th century to help learn and diagnose certain diseases. Honestly, I thought there was going to be more about the treatment of the insane people that lived there in the 18th century and parts of the 19th. However, that was not really the case. All that was said about the mentally insane that lived there was that they lived there and were sorted by zodiac sign which was probably due to Emperor Joseph who was a member of Rosencruetz. Overall, I was still very impressed with the kind of documentation that they had of so many different diseases, and I was speaking with Caleb about how 3D models of all physical diseases should be created in order to help doctors today. Especially with technology today, that allows people to get a 3D view of a object by just moving their 2D screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment