Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Munching down in Munich

A lot has happened since the last time I was able to write. I have experienced Karneval, traveled to Munich, found a better castle for me to live in, and endured a 10 hour bus ride through the German countryside.

Last Thursday we all went to the Women's Day Karneval parade with scissors in hand and sporting animal costumes. I was very happy that I had a cushioned hood, because I got hit with whole candy bars and other sorts of kamela very frequently. It was a great experience and taste of Karneval. After the parade, which was realllly cold and wet, we went and experienced the other Karneval scenes which was also a lot of fun. I'm glad I got to experience some of the Rhineland culture firsthand.

A lot of us opted to leave for Karneval weekend due to the recent events in Cologne, and I must say I am very happy about that decision considering the news that later came out. Instead, we ventured to Munich which was an awesome city, my host mom's favorite in fact. We arrived early in the morning on Friday and spent the day going on a city tour and exploring the English Gardens.

On our second day in Bavaria, we took a day trip to Fussen which was absolutely beautiful and the home of King Ludwig's dream castle aka my dream castle. The castle was in the middle of the Bavarian Alps with valleys and lakes all around. Definitely one of my favorite places so far.

Our third day in Munich was spent at the first concentration camp, Dauchu. It was a very humbling experience that reminded me just how blessed I am to not suffer such persecution for having faith. As you walk through the camp you are overcome with a very eery feeling. What was even more unsettling was learning about the awful human experiments that were performed there. As a future professional researcher, knowing that scientists regarded their data and thesis as more important than human lives is sickening. My belief is that as a scientist you should use your knowledge and resources to develop new ways to improve and save lives, not destroy them.  

Later that day we got to experience Munich's version of Karneval, where some of us girls decided to eat our way through the city. Within a period of a few hours we consumed crepes with nutella and fruit, chocolate covered strawberries, and two servings of cinnamon-sugar mini pancakes. All of these were obviously even more delicious than they sound, but the fact that I got told I would come back as a "little pudge-ball" made me regret it slightly. Only a little bit though because they were in fact amazing. Did I mention that the mini pancakes came in an edible waffle bowl??? AMAZING.

After coming back from Munich, the study grind has really started to commence considering we have a test next Monday in signals....which honestly I don't think anyone is ready for. This weekend the plan is to go to Berlin, so hopefully we get some cool cultural experiences and time to study there.

No comments:

Post a Comment