Monday, April 7, 2014

Spring Break 2014!!

Wow, it's been over a month since I last wrote on this blog. Crazy how time flies when you're working like no other. Well, I guess the first blog I have to share would be about spring break. This will be entirely personal since there were no program-led things this week. I went on a cruise around the Mediterranean which left from Savona, stopped in Naples, traveled to Palermo Sicily, went to Tunis Tunisia, dropped us off in Barcelona, and rounded out the trip by going to Marseilles. I won't go into detail about all of them because it would take about 20 pages (trust me, they're all there on my personal blog) so I guess my favorite would be the time I spent in Barcelona. I don't know if everyone knows this, but I have a passion for churches, and when we went to visit the Segrada Familia, interesting things happened.

But before them, a little bit about this church and why it's so important. It's been under construction or the past 400 years an is only about 60% done despite the original plan stating that it would be done 200 years ago. It's architecture was created by the famous builder Gaudi who used trees and paraboloids as his inspiration for the structure of the church. When it's finished it's supposed to have 16 spires (4 on 3 sides for the apostles, one for Mary, one for Joseph, one for St. Paul, and one in the center for Jesus) with three façades for the nativity, passion, and holy family (I think). On the outside, it doesn't look like much an you can definitely see here the old stone ends an the new stone begins on the nativity façade, but the inside is a completely different story. The stained glass windows were absolutely amazing to look at and the decorations on the ceiling and floors were so pretty. I'm not joking when I say I was in absolute awe at the view inside the church. At one point one of my friends looked at me and was mildly concerned at the tears in my eyes. Yes, it was that beautiful and I highly recommend anyone even mildly interested in architecture or churches or even just looking at anything pretty to go. It's supposed to be finished in the next 25 years an will be the tallest church in the world. In a small room off to the side was an exhibit dedicated to the inspirations Gaudi took from nature for the architecture and below the church is something like a museum that shows early ideas an models for the church. But can I just take a minute to talk about the windows? Each window was dedicated to a different color group that seamlessly blended from one window to the next. All the colors in that window were put together in a sort of mosaic style and when the light shone through them, it truly looked like glittering gemstones instead of colored glass. Fun fact: that was actually the original purpose of stained glass windows due to the verse in the bible that describes heaven as paced with hold and gemstones. The architects of churches used this to make stained glass windows without any type of set design, but later these windows showed scenes from the bible or different important people in the Christian faith because if you're going to make it pretty, why not make it informative as well? In terms of churches, the outside was not the most visually appealing, but the inside more than made up for it and this church is now one of my favorites in all the world. Alright, done gushing about the beautiful church, I promise.

 Our first view of the church
 The passion facade (just the crucifixion part. The rest isn't shown)
 Windows!
 Also, these. This is for Luke (the Ox)
 For Jon (the Eagle)
 For Mark (the Lion)
And last but definitely not least, Matthew (the Man)
P.S. Love you bro!
 So many different colors!
 Everyone on this trip in one shot.
 Just...awe is all I can feel at this. The Crucifix, windows, and organs are so perfect here
 I think I'm more in love with the windows than any church architecture yet
 Aren't they like the precious stones they're supposed to imitate?
 
As a last note, yes, this was an exact copy of what's written in my other blog, hence why it's written in this way. But seriously, this was my favorite part of the trip. I plan of writing the rest of the blogs that I've been saving up in different posts due to how long this post would be if they were all combined. Thank goodness for my personal blog so I can go back and remember what happened in detail.

Erin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment