Wednesday, April 16, 2014

AIB Charitay Weekend

AIB charity weekend started bright and early on Saturday morning. We all met at new AIB and got our charity weekend shirts and some food and whatnot. After taking a group picture, I found at that my big event group wasn't meeting until 1:30 to go to our project, so I could either sit around all day at AIB or I could hop on another team's project until 1:00 or so. I chose to join another group and headed off to a mentaly handicapped community to help clean up and restore their outdoor area. First, we carried out a whole bunch of old junk to make room for some prettiness. After that, we raked up all of the dead leaves in the area we had just de-junked, and then moved them to a trailer, but not in the trailer (why nots?). When that was all good and done, we began picking up bunches of rotting apples an throwing them in a bucket, which was fun and gross. When we were about halfway done with that task, I had to head off to my other project. We went to a community garden where we were to paint some concrete pipes, fix a tool shed roof, and eat some weeds. I chose to fix the roof cause that sounded right up my alley. After a few hours of working with minimal amounts of materials and tools, the shed had a new roof on it that will hopefully last a good long time.

On Sunday, I participated in my first marathon. Even though I ran the shortest leg of the relay, and took my sweet time doing it, I was still super sore the next day, and the day after that, and maybe even a little bit the day after that. I have no running experience, get shin splints, and didn't train at all, so the fact that I even finished was a really cool feeling, and I helped raise money for a good cause! Over all the weekend was a great time, even though it wore me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment