Sunday, January 26, 2014

Weekend with my German Family

It has only been two weeks since we arrived in Bonn but I feel like I have done so much! One of the greatest things this past week was getting to know my host family more and spending time with them. On Thursday we went to a sport center to play Badminton. It was great to get to do something active since I have been eating so much delicious German food! I had a lot of fun playing and joking around. It’s really nice that they go out and do things like that together. I feel so lucky that I am becoming a part of such a sweet and close family. I have also been impressed by how active the people are here. My host family likes to jog and I see many people in the area biking even when it’s extremely cold (by my Texas standards).
Saturday was my host dad’s birthday and we had a huge party at the house with all the neighbors. In the morning (well more like noon) we had an especially big breakfast with food covering the whole table. We had a full house with Mirco and Linda (our host home brother and sister) home from university, Mirco’s girlfriend Tina, and Karima’s bestfriend staying over the weekend. The family seems to love having people over and they are very welcoming to everyone. For the party, we wanted to make something typical of where we are from, so we decided to make guacamole. We went grocery shopping with our host brother, Mirco and his girlfriend Tina and marveled at all the foods that we don’t have in the U.S. We also noticed that you can’t buy big portions or bulk items… with one exception: beer. We went to multiple warehouse type places that just sell alcohol to stock up for the birthday party. I don’t think we have places like that in the US!
On Saturday my friend Alice came to visit from Belgium, so I met up with her before the party. We walked around Bonn and caught up. It was so nice to get to see her again, and this time on her side of the pond! When I came back home it was clear that a lot of preparation was going into this party. The house looked so nice and smelled great from all the food! I met so many nice people at the party. I think people here in Germany are less likely to say hello or strike up a conversation on the street with a stranger like we might in Texas, but in my host family’s home and similar settings everyone is very friendly.

Today (Sunday) Alice and Shannon came over to my house and Linda took us on a walk through the small forest in Sankt Augustin. My wonderful host family welcomed my friends over and gave them dessert from the party. They told me that they were of course always welcome to come over and that if Alice wanted to come back again she should stay at our house. I am so lucky to get to be part of such a great family for the semester. I already feel like part of the family and I am so excited for the plans we are making together for the rest of my time here!

No comments:

Post a Comment