Wednesday, January 8, 2014

From Texas to Germany

Howdy!! My name is Shannon McMinn, I'm a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student at Texas A&M and I'm getting ready to go to Germany for the semester!!! (Add much more excitement than three exclamation marks can signify). Christmas is over and my friends are starting to head back to their various schools across Texas but I have many preparations left, including the daunting task of packing...
I first got excited about this trip my freshman year and have been looking forward to it all of last semester. Even though my ideas of Germany are based off of my trip to Scotland I'm glad to have at least the tiniest hint on German weather. I expect that Germany will be overcast and rainy most days. At least that probably means that everything is green and beautiful. I have lived in Texas all of my life and am used to bright sun and open skies most days so this will be a bit of a shock at first I think. My biggest worry right now is freezing while I'm there, the cold and I don't get along very well.
The travel bug got to me this summer and I'm very excited to visit as many different countries and cultures as humanly possible, while balancing my school work of course. I am excited to try German food and even beer to see if it is indeed better than American beer, which I have never cared for. I'm sure that German culture will take some getting used to but I think that I'm up for the task. I've heard from past foreign exchange students that Europeans wear a lot of dark colors, since my favorite color is yellow I'm expecting that my friends and I will stick out in a crowd. Most people will probably take one look at us and know that we are Americans, but I'm curious if my German heritage has made it possible for me to blend in slightly. However what little allusion this may create will certainly be shattered by clothing and my clearly American accent.
I am looking forward to learning some German and practicing it as often as I can. I visited Greece last summer and realized that Americans are pretty ignorant in the language category and ended up feeling bad about my dependence on others to speak English in order to communicate with me in their own country.
Two of my best friends are going on this trip which makes me all the more excited. I am fully expecting the adventure of a lifetime and no matter what happens I'm sure that that is exactly what I will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment