Friday, January 10, 2014

It’s the Final Countdown

About 24 hours away from my flight and I still feel like part of me is in denial about leaving. Procrastinating so long on this post probably hasn’t helped. I haven’t really been liking the idea of writing something about myself that all my peers and well anyone on the internet could read. However I know that often times, it is the things that people think they don’t like which end up teaching them the most about themselves. I know that using this blog as a tool to help me reflect on all my experiences abroad will help make those experiences so much more valuable. I want to not only have new experiences, but form opinions and create new ideas for and about myself based on those experiences. I want to be completely honest in all these posts and never just write one to get it out of the way because it is required.

While my biggest concern with these next four months is my inability to retreat back into the culture I grew up in and have already developed a reasonable understanding of, this is also what I look forward to most. Whether coming home after classes to my German host family or going to lunch at a German café, I will be constantly immersed in their way of living. A perk of this which I am very excited about is having the chance to meet and observe people who have spent their entire lives in this alternate way of living and getting to talk to them about it. Having these conversations is one of my biggest goals for this trip. Other equally as necessary goals are…
  • ·         Setting out enough study time needed to make good grades
  • ·         Learning a decent amount of German
  • ·         Developing a close relationship with my host family and the other aggies in this program
  • ·         Keeping my already close relationships back home with friends and my girlfriend, Kate
  • ·         Eating lots of delicious German food

If all of these are accomplished, this will definitely be considered as a successful trip. And now that I have somewhat mental prepared myself a little more while typing this, I should probably go finish my physical preparation of packing for tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment