Monday, January 6, 2014

Viva La Deutschland!

Howdy y'all!

My name's Johanna Scheeh and I'm a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student. I'm from Grapevine, Texas: Home of the DFW Airport! I'm so sad that Christmas is over, but on the bright side  that means my semester abroad is even closer!

I call this piece "interracial love" From Left to Right: Genie, Snicks (the pup), Me, and Kerr.

I'm currently in Taiwan visiting my grandparents and I'll be returning to the states two days before leaving for Germany. I'm a little stressed about having to unpack and repack, especially since I'm such a forgetful person. I can't quite tell whether it's actually hit me that I'll be across the pond for five months, but I do know that excitement definitely outweighs any anxiety I have about going at this point. 

I got an introduction email from my host family yesterday, which was quite the relief because I'd thought they'd forgotten about me. I'll be living with Elizabeth, who's originally from America; her husband, Samir, who's a dentist; her daughters Tahany and Karima, and her son Ramy. 

The hardest part, so far, seems to be saying goodbye, especially to my hedgehog, Bubby. My friends and family ask me about the experience: What I hope to get out of it, if I speak German (which my only response is nein!). I'm not really sure what to expect and that's why I'm so excited. The unknown - not so much about Europe being unknown to me, but the unknown of myself. How much will I learn, grow, change (for the better, of course)?

This is Bubby and her baby sitter!



Oh, also, I'm super pumped for the first ever international BIG EVENT!!! I hope a lot of y'all have signed up to make a change! For now, I'll just let everything unravel and I can't wait to meet all of y'all! Deuces Texas!


No comments:

Post a Comment